• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

foophi

Please help.

I am currently in a illegal apartment in NJ. I rented the apartment not knowing that it was illegal. In September I gave the landlord a check for the rent but before they deposited the check I found out that the apartment was illegal (I have the documentation to support), so I stopped payment on the check in order to concentrate my resources on finding a new residence.

My landlord is now taking me to small claims court to evict me and to sue for September's rent. I need to mention that I have also filed charges against her and her husband for harrassment (constant calls, threatening bodily harm, threatening to call my boss, etc.)

What recourse do I have? Can she evict me through small claims court? Can I sue her for the rent paid over the passed year?

Any help at all will be greatly appreaciated.

HomeGuru

You should not have stopped payment on the rent check. You can be evicted for nonpayment of rent. You can file a counterclaim that you were willing to pay the rent when the property is legal. Place the rent into a court trust fund. You can not sue for the rent you have paid in the past.

F

foophi

illegal

Thank Home Guru for your reply. The apartment was never legal (attic apartment). I was told that they could collect on an illegal apartment. Is this information false. I was also under the impression that they are supposed to give me time to relocate.

HomeGuru

I am not sure about your State Statutes. L does not have to give you any time to relocate if you do not pay rent.

F

foophi

illegal

Thank you for your response.

Why would I continue to pay rent on an apartment that is illegal/ according to the Division of Community Improvements - cannot collect on an illegal dwelling.

Does the fact that the apartment is illegal have any bearing?

Can she evict through small claims court - isn't there a different venue when evicting.

HomeGuru

Is this Division of CI a City/County, State or Federal agency?
I do not no the complete jurisdiction of Small Claims court but in most States this court only handles security deposit claims and not evictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">