• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal/legal search

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rid3r

My vehicle was stored at a residence in which id stayed in it time to time. A search warrant was issued on the occupant of said residence and said residence no where on that warrant was my name or my vehicle. The cops broke my window gained access found some pariphenelia my id located me and arrested me was this legal

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My vehicle was stored at a residence in which id stayed in it time to time. A search warrant was issued on the occupant of said residence and said residence no where on that warrant was my name or my vehicle. The cops broke my window gained access found some pariphenelia my id located me and arrested me was this legal
Based on what you have stated, yes.

quincy

What is the name of your state?

Rid3r

Based on what you have stated, yes.
Well that would be like someone owning or taken care of a business that has vehicles that are not his and the cops pulling a serch warrant for him and his property then going and breaking in every vehicle how is that legal

Rid3r

Have your lawyer review the warrant and the affidavit. He'll tell you.
Im working with a public defender and their not always on your side they just try getting you to take a plea so if i can show that i know what im talking about when it comes to my rights i have a chance

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well that would be like someone owning or taken care of a business that has vehicles that are not his and the cops pulling a serch warrant for him and his property then going and breaking in every vehicle how is that legal
It's not at all the same.

adjusterjack

Stay on the subject. Don't compare apples to elephants.

Im working with a public defender and their not always on your side they just try getting you to take a plea so if i can show that i know what im talking about when it comes to my rights i have a chance
Did your public defender read the warrant and the affidavit?

Have you read it?

What does it say?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Because the business owner may have had access to the vehicles to hide things.

quincy

A public defender is a licensed attorney who works for the client in their best interests. The major difference between a public defender and a private attorney is often just the amount of time that can be spent on each case. Public defenders typically have higher case loads.

The key to knowing if the search of your vehicle was legal or not is to read the warrant. Warrants should be specific in what is to be searched. That said, anything illegal that is found during a proper search can be confiscated. For example, if the search is for weapons but drugs are found during the search, both the weapons and drugs can be seized.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Now you can rot. I am a public defender. You have no clue. PD's have the best chance of getting the best results because of their relationship with the court. BTW -- I am the ONLY attorney that has responded to you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
A public defender is a licensed attorney who works for the client in their best interests. The major difference between a public defender and a private attorney is often just the amount of time that can be spent on each case. Public defenders typically have higher case loads.

The key to knowing if the search of your vehicle was proper or not is to read the warrant. Warrants should be specific in what is to be searched. That said, anything illegal that is found during a proper search can be confiscated. For example, if the search is for weapons but drugs are found during the search, both the weapons and drugs can be seized.
Truth but quite frankly, as a PD my biggest issue is my client COMMUNICATING WITH ME. Most PDs have a great relationship with the court and know what the court accepts and how they react to things and make recommendations based upon that. This OP is a bigot against PDs. He can rot. Probably in jail because I won't be commenting again.

quincy

Truth but quite frankly, as a PD my biggest issue is my client COMMUNICATING WITH ME. Most PDs have a great relationship with the court and know what the court accepts and how they react to things and make recommendations based upon that. This OP is a bigot against PDs. He can rot. Probably in jail because I won't be commenting again.
I am afraid that Rid3r’s impression of public defenders is not an uncommon one. I think the idea of a public defender being somehow inferior to a private attorney is because many believe that only money can buy the best and the brightest.

If anything can be learned from some of the private attorneys representing some of the wealthy defendants appearing recently in courts across the country is that private attorneys are not necessarily all that bright.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, taking a plea to a lesser charge will result in a) less time in legal limbo, and b) potentially lesser consequences than if you go to trial and lose.

This is not to say that you have no chance of going to trial and being found not guilty. However, it would take time and more legal effort to do so. Your lawyer has access to the details of your case and knows better than us whether such effort would be worth it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">