• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois joint & Mutual wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rlewis

My mother and stepfather are residents of Illinois. My mother has grown children from a previous marriage. My stepfather has no children. Is a joint and mutual will advisable, provided a contract is attached? Will the survivor not be allowed the federal marital deduction because of a joint and mutual will? Thank you.

[This message has been edited by rlewis (edited April 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by rlewis (edited April 06, 2000).]

D

depeche

A joint and mutual will is not advisable as they are strictly construed and subjectv to particular scrutiny. From your question about the marital deduction, it sounds as if they have a significant estate.

If there are concerns aabout both estate taxes and the ultimate disposition of the estate of the first-to-die, then a "QTIP" Marital Trust and a bypass family trust is probably the the best option. This route can also eliminate the costly probate process for both parents.

I practice at a small suburban Illinois law firm that concentrates solely in estate planning and related areas. If you or your parents may be interested, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">