• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois Living Will - Can a Canadian be Guardian of Our Children?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SuperTata

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My wife and I are planning our living will, and would like to set my sister as the guardian of our children. She is a Canadian Citizen living in Ontario, Canada. Is this possible, or do we have to choose a person who is living in the United States (Citizen or Resident)?

Thank you in advance,

SuperTata

Just Blue

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My wife and I are planning our living will, and would like to set my sister as the guardian of our children. She is a Canadian Citizen living in Ontario, Canada. Is this possible, or do we have to choose a person who is living in the United States (Citizen or Resident)?

Thank you in advance,

SuperTata
Do you or your wife have other family that may challenge your wish to have your sister as guardian?

FlyingRon

Understand a "living will" has nothing whatsoever to do with your children. A living will is a colloquial term for an advance healthcare directive. It covers how medical decisions will be handled if you are incapacitated. The term you want is just "a will."

Note that ZDoodah is correct in that the guardianship mentioned int he will is only going to be a preference. The courts will determine what is in the best interest of the child. It is recommended that while it may be possible to use a foreign guardian, you should probably set up a backup US national to handle either temporary or permanent guardianship while this is all in flux.

The above advice is VERY non-specific and not tuned to either Illinois or Canada. For this matter, as you've been told, your best bet is to see an attorney. They can draft wills, advance healthcare directives, powers of attorneys, and perhaps set up trusts as fits the needs of you and your child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">