• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm a DJ in a backyard party. Im unaware, NOT ignorant. Thats why Im asking here!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FarmerJ

Fueled , seriously , each and every time you set up to play somewhere It really would be worth it to check with city hall for actual definitions written into ordinance that cover disturbing the peace. Just as there are some places with very well written ords there are some places with very vague or no ords at all.

justalayman

Yeah, Ignorant is a is disrespectful way of saying unaware. Another word for stupid.

Unaware is the respectful way of saying unaware. THIS is the word to use.

NON of us knows every single thing on earth. You (Im not aiming you) don't know every single thing on the planet, So does that make YOU Ignorant?
why yes, yes it does. I admit ignorance of many facts. There is nothing to be ashamed of in being ignorant. The shame comes from failing to remedy that ignorance when there is a need and ability to correct it and failing to do so.

Oh, btw: just so you are not unaware of the possibility: unless you have a license to play the music you are or it is in the public domain, you are infringing upon the copyrights of the owners of the music. That can subject you to some scary level damages in court if the owners or their authorized representatives sue you.

why yes, yes it does. I admit ignorance of many facts. There is nothing to be ashamed of in being ignorant. The shame comes from failing to remedy that ignorance when there is a need and ability to correct it and failing to do so.

Oh, btw: just so you are not unaware of the possibility: unless you have a license to play the music you are or it is in the public domain, you are infringing upon the copyrights of the owners of the music. That can subject you to some scary level damages in court if the owners or their authorized representatives sue you.
Even if it's private backyard? Or even if it was a friends? I sure had no idea on that one. Its a hobby I have, and love to do. Been DJing for personal use for several years. Then I thought, why not place an ad and do a couple private parties. Evidently I was meant to do this for a few gigs only, then go back to personal, or better yet family or friends. Not looking to have a business doing gigs or anything. Just a temperary job

Now that is scarry!

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

fueledbymusic;3059793[B said:
Even if it's private backyard? Or even if it was a friends?[/B] I sure had no idea on that one. Its a hobby I have, and love to do. Been DJing for personal use for several years. Then I thought, why not place an ad and do a couple private parties. Evidently I was meant to do this for a few gigs only, then go back to personal, or better yet family or friends. Not looking to have a business doing gigs or anything. Just a temperary job

Now that is scarry!
have you ever read at the beginning of a DVD where it says the license is for only private showings and not for public display? It is basically the same for music. Your purchase of the cd gives you permission to listen to it. It does not give you permission (license) to play it for everybody and it surely doesn't give you license to use it to make money.

yes, even if it is a private backyard. Every DJ service out there (if acting legally) must purchase licences to be able to play any of the music they play. Failing to do so can get them sued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">