• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im in North Carolina my i notified my landlord about a broken water heater 18 days ago

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Choar

My rent is on time for 3 years, NC laws are vague regarding a "reasonable amount of time to repair" and im weighing my options. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

adjusterjack

Let's start with 42-72. Landlord to provide fit premises.
(a) The landlord shall:
(1) Comply with the current applicable building and housing codes,

My note: Lack of hot water may be a code issue. Call the city code enforcement department.

(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.

(4) Maintain in good and safe working order and promptly repair all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities and appliances supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord provided that notification of needed repairs is made to the landlord in writing by the tenant, except in emergency situations.

My note: 18 days obviously not "promptly."

Unfortunately, 42-44. General remedies, penalties, and limitations is not help.

You can read the statutes at:

https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralStatuteSections/Chapter42
Is the problem with the WH something you can pay to have fixed and then seek reimbursement from the landlord? You're not allowed to withhold rend without a court order but if it's not an expensive repair it might be cheaper to have it fixed rather than go to court.

Meantime, call the city and see how that goes.

Choar

Let's start with 42-72. Landlord to provide fit premises.
(a) The landlord shall:
(1) Comply with the current applicable building and housing codes,

My note: Lack of hot water may be a code issue. Call the city code enforcement department.

(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition.

(4) Maintain in good and safe working order and promptly repair all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and other facilities and appliances supplied or required to be supplied by the landlord provided that notification of needed repairs is made to the landlord in writing by the tenant, except in emergency situations.

My note: 18 days obviously not "promptly."

Unfortunately, 42-44. General remedies, penalties, and limitations is not help.

You can read the statutes at:

https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralStatuteSections/Chapter42
Is the problem with the WH something you can pay to have fixed and then seek reimbursement from the landlord? You're not allowed to withhold rend without a court order but if it's not an expensive repair it might be cheaper to have it fixed rather than go to court.

Meantime, call the city and see how that goes.
The water heater must be replaced, which is over $1000 to have a plumber do it, about $400 if i did it myself. I am considering calling the plumber myself and paying for it

STEPHAN

Did you ever wite him? Do you have any proof?

I most cities it would not be legal for you to replace the waterheater yourself unless you are a licensed plumber.

I would call the city, code enforcement.

FarmerJ

Your LL has no excuse to have let it go that long, CALL INSPECTIONS !!!!!!!!! (as previously told by the others)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">