• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm in NY, they're in Michigan, how do I sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lilsister

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

A client of mine is refusing to make their last payment. They are in Michigan and I'm in NY. How am I going to do this? The monetary amount is $1500. Not a lot but I'm a small biz owner and it is a lot to us.

I tried emailing some Michigan attorneys in the area of the client (Farmington) but not one got back to me yet. I guess it's not worth their time for such little money?

Can't I just find an attorney to draft a demand of payment letter? I think coming from a local attorney will make it more enforceable rather than having a NY attorney do one.

Help!

x1987x

Where did the business occur? - I think in your case MI. So file it locally.

Yeah. Get a lawyer to draft a letter. If that doesn't work then continue to small claims - they get to show up on your turf.

Are they a person/un-incorporated business? If yes, then it's easier. (No legal agent researching.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">