• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Improper parking violation, car and motorcycle same spot (Long Beach NY)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm sure that doesn't apply to a parking slot in a parking lot.
Likely true, but the OP didn't say he was parked in a parking lot.

So, for the OP: Were you an in off-street parking lot, or parked on the side of the street? Also, if parked on the side of the street, were these angled spots (or even straight-in spots)?

adjusterjack

OP didn't say he was parked in a parking lot.
Right. Looking back over the first post I can visualize it another way. However "parallel to her front bumper and almost parallel to the curb" is confusing. On street, angle parking, maybe?

So, for the OP: Were you an in off-street parking lot, or parked on the side of the street? Also, if parked on the side of the street, were these angled spots (or even straight-in spots)?
Yes, an explanation would help.

Chrisgwag

One way street, traffic flowing south to north, with angled parking. There's a narrow curb at the head of the parking spaces and then on the other side of the curb is parking for the other side of the street (where traffic flows north to south). My bike was parked "almost" parallel to the narrow curb at the head of the space, her car was parked in the angled space.

I completely agree, my bike should've gotten the violation for not being parked head in. I'll keep this in mind next time.

To the person who said the town won't stop giving these violations, how can they keep giving violations if there's no statute? That's ridiculous.

adjusterjack

To the person who said the town won't stop giving these violations, how can they keep giving violations if there's no statute? That's ridiculous
No, it's bureaucracy. A bureaucratic default is status quo, mindless adherence to business as usual. Nobody's going to pay any attention unless a judge says that your girlfriend is not guilty because there was nothing to violate. Then get the town some publicity and the parking officers may get the message.

Zigner

One way street, traffic flowing south to north, with angled parking. There's a narrow curb at the head of the parking spaces and then on the other side of the curb is parking for the other side of the street (where traffic flows north to south). My bike was parked "almost" parallel to the narrow curb at the head of the space, her car was parked in the angled space.

I completely agree, my bike should've gotten the violation for not being parked head in. I'll keep this in mind next time.

To the person who said the town won't stop giving these violations, how can they keep giving violations if there's no statute? That's ridiculous.
I've pointed out the statute. The car was double-parked. That you didn't receive a citation is lucky for you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I've pointed out the statute. The car was double-parked. That you didn't receive a citation is lucky for you.
The reason OP didn't get a ticket is that they were unaware that OP was complicit.

It is likely that the person writing the ticket did not know that the owners of the motorcycle and Honda Civic knew each other; it may have looked like the motorcyclist parked, and then the Honda Civic came up and squeezed themselves into the already occupied space.

Last edited:

Zigner

The reason OP didn't get a ticket is that they were unaware that OP was complicit.

It is likely that the person writing the ticket knew the owner of the motorcycle and Honda Civic knew each other; it may have looked like the motorcyclist parked, and then the Honda Civic came up and squeezed themselves into the already occupied space.
The OP (may have been) improperly parked as well...

ETA: I mean, there may have been a totally separate violation - ie: the not parking head-in to the spot.

PayrollHRGuy

From many years of riding motocycles, I can say that cops are pretty good about understanding that motorcycle park funny from time to time. It is har to push an 800-pound bike uphill backward.

Zigner

From many years of riding motocycles, I can say that cops are pretty good about understanding that motorcycle park funny from time to time. It is har to push an 800-pound bike uphill backward.
I really don't disagree that the police officer is free to exercise discretion ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">