• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In KY can Unmarked Police Cars issue tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bluebadge

Kentucky: In the state of KY (Bowling Green) I was driving to work today along a 2 line highway (2 lanes going each direction) I was in the left lane behind an unmarked police vehicle (unknown to me at that point) the police vehicle was driving 50mph (55mph is the speed limit on this road) we had just passed a slower vehicle and the police vehicle failed to pull in to let me pass and there was nothing preventing him from pulling in to the right hand lane at this time. I proceeded to start to undertake, as he was travelling at a lesser speed than was signposted. No sooner had I pulled in to undertake and applied acceleration to 55mph to pass, the police vehicle increased his speed almost causing me to hit a vehicle in the right lane that I was coming up on. I then slowed and pulled my vehicle back into the left lane and was once again behind the police vehicle, and again he slowed back to 50mph. It was at this point that he turned on his rear blue flashing lights briefly (as if to say back off!)

What I would like to know is:

1) Can an unmarked police vehicle pull me over and issue a ticket?
2) Do I have any rights to file a complaint against said police officer for dangerous driving behavior or using his lights without good cause.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

bluebadge

Hmmmm...

TheGeekess I appreciate your prompt response however, I really want see where this is written, as in many states from what I have read unmarked police vehicles do not have the ablility to write tickets, they have to call for a marked vehicle and hand it off to them. This guy wasn't even in uniform. Just because he has flashing lights what's to say he's actually with vehicle enforcement?

I was a bit annoyed by his actions and feel that someone should be made aware of his inability to follow the laws he feels so compelled to enforce.

Also it states you are a senior member, what are your credentials? I'm not saying that I don't believe you, I would just like to know how you became informed about your answer.

many thanks!
BB

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The car, marked or otherwise cannot issue tickets. They don't have opposable thumbs to hold the pen!

The officer in the car would have to be the one to issue the cite.

OHRoadwarrior

The issue is not whether the unmarked cruiser's driver can issue a ticket. The issue is whether it is safe for you to infer he is a real police officer. If an unmarked vehicle were trying to pull me over, I would not immediately stop. I would slow, put on my flashers, then call 911 to verify the vehicle is actually a cruiser.

Handcoc

Kentucky:

What I would like to know is:

1) Can an unmarked police vehicle pull me over and issue a ticket?
2) Do I have any rights to file a complaint against said police officer for dangerous driving behavior or using his lights without good cause.
Yes they can issue, and do, tickets. Yes, you can file a complaint if you wish; but who to? You don't know who he worked for.

The Occultist

Yes they can issue, and do, tickets. Yes, you can file a complaint if you wish; but who to? You don't know who he worked for.
After the citation is written, all such information (including "who he worked for") becomes available. Who are you and where are you getting your information from?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">