• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

In the First Person as "I" or as Mr. my name ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarmelMike

California

I am representing myself this week in family law. Does the court prefer I speak in the first person as "I' or as Mr. my name?

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
From his NEXT STARTED THREAD:
California

Hi, I filed for contempt 2 weeks before the trial date. The new judge said something about dropping contempt charges to hear the hearing first. Does this make sense? The hearing was rescheduled for a later date. Do I need to refile same contempt issues and pay fees again after the hearing or will the contempt charges still stand and be heard at a different date after the hearing?

Also, copies of exhibits were already submitted 2 months ago, but my case was switched to different court and new judge. The new judge asked for new exhibits and rescheduled the hearing without listening to either parties exhibit points. My child visitation is being postponed with each court postponement.

Please explain why things are rescheduled and how to properly handle the contempt charges I filed which now sound to be dropped to hear the hearing.

CarmelMike

Other than fines and possible jail time, what are the ramifications of being guilty of contempt of court? Is each count considered a separate misdemeanor?

Last edited:

CarmelMike

I am ordered to visit my daughter 400 miles away. I get $200 for travel reimbursement. The $200 reimbursement my ex pays does not cover the cost of hotel, gas and use of vehicle and or flight. How does car mileage reimbursement get calculated in this of situation? Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Why do you feel that you're entitled to more than what the other party has been ordered to reimburse you?

CarmelMike

The least expensive hotel in Castro Valley is $99 + taxes. Multiplied by 2 nights is already more than $200.00
In addition to the gasoline and wear and tare on the vehicle.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am ordered to visit my daughter 400 miles away. I get $200 for travel reimbursement. The $200 reimbursement my ex pays does not cover the cost of hotel, gas and use of vehicle and or flight. How does car mileage reimbursement get calculated in this of situation? Thank you.
That's unusual. It is usually not mandatory that a noncustodial parent exercise their court ordered parenting time.

But given your ex's conduct so far, I'd say bite the bullet and pay the difference yourself for now, documenting everything. After all, you've been having difficulty getting mom to allow you to exercise your parenting time. Call. Her. Bluff. (What's the over under on her making kiddo available *and* *paying* the $200 consistently?)

CarmelMike

To clarify, I was not ordered to visit my child. The visitation order is that I travel to see child once a month and child travel to see me once a month. Mom is allowing child, minor 12 years of age, to decide to travel to see me on ordered visitation or stay home and ride her horse. Child is opting to stay and ride horse.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
To clarify, I was not ordered to visit my child. The visitation order is that I travel to see child once a month and child travel to see me once a month. Mom is allowing child, minor 12 years of age, to decide to travel to see me on ordered visitation or stay home and ride her horse. Child is opting to stay and ride horse.
Then you have to show that you have made an attempt to see your daughter each and every time. And document it. If Mom denies you visitation after you've travelled there, document it, and still ask for the $200.

If Mom denies you your parenting time, or does not reimburse you the $200 in a timely fashion, as I suspect she will, go back to court and ask that she be found in contempt and that she offer you make up parenting time, as well as the $.

LdiJ

Then you have to show that you have made an attempt to see your daughter each and every time. And document it. If Mom denies you visitation after you've travelled there, document it, and still ask for the $200.

If Mom denies you your parenting time, or does not reimburse you the $200 in a timely fashion, as I suspect she will, go back to court and ask that she be found in contempt and that she offer you make up parenting time, as well as the $.
You should also take her to court for contempt for allowing the child to decide whether or not to visit.

CarmelMike

Does anyone know how the courts calculate reimbursement miles and wear on vehicle? Is it $0.54 per mile?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">