• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incarceration

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nickeyc

Virginia. my son is presently serving 13 years for aggravated malicious wounding. the original sentence was 50 years, 35 suspended and 15 served for which he pleaded guilty. Not excusing what he did but is there any way or thing that can be done to get him released as he is just wasting away in prison, whereas if out he could be working and repaying he debts his scheduled release date is august 2024 when he will be 62

Eekamouse

Has he appealed his conviction? Why should he be let out early? You say he is wasting away in prison but outside of prison he could commit more crimes, couldn't he? Part of repaying his debt to society is completing his prison sentence.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Virginia. my son is presently serving 13 years for aggravated malicious wounding. the original sentence was 50 years, 35 suspended and 15 served for which he pleaded guilty. Not excusing what he did but is there any way or thing that can be done to get him released as he is just wasting away in prison, whereas if out he could be working and repaying he debts his scheduled release date is august 2024 when he will be 62
He already got 70% of his sentence knocked off - and that's not good enough for you?

davew128

He will get out in time to file for SS and not be an unearned burden on society.
Given that a siginificant amount of the adult life is behind bars, I wonder how much SS OP's son will actually be eligible for, especially at an early retirement age.
The time to appeal is over.
Well we don't KNOW that. However given that the son PLED guilty, it would have to be something pretty significant in order to have an appealable issue in the first place.

OHRoadwarrior

Given that a siginificant amount of the adult life is behind bars, I wonder how much SS OP's son will actually be eligible for, especially at an early retirement age.
Well we don't KNOW that. However given that the son PLED guilty, it would have to be something pretty significant in order to have an appealable issue in the first place.
Or SSI. :)

dave33

The 15 years is now in the hands of the department of corrections. I am not sure about your state but I would suggest looking into a couple of things. The 1st would be goodtime and how much he can/is earning and how he can loose it. The 2nd would be industrial time, that is time earned for having a job inside prison. Industrial time is usually significantly less than good time but it can often add up to a day or two a month. Another thing would be educational time. In some states you can take classes and get time knocked off. goodluck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">