• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inconsiderate Roomate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ayrhicas

Maryland

I have a roommate that is in violation of our lease and the rental office already sent a warning letter. She has her ex bfs family living in our apartment rent free and our lease states that we cannot have other members living in the apartment more than 15 days within 6 months. They have been our apartment on and off since April 2019. They stay in a hotel for like three days then come back. On several occasions she has left them in there while she is gone for days at a time. I have no locks on my doors and I dont know these people and I have expressed to her that she is not only breaking the lease but putting me and my child in a very uncomfortable situation. She was also three months behind on her share of the rent which reflects negatively on me even though we are both jointly responsible according to the lease. We tried to get my name off the lease but she was not approved to take over the lease. The other option was we both sign to terminate. She did not agree to that either. I already expressed that I cant financially handle the lease alone. She has yet to give me an answer on what she is doing. At this point we arent talking to each other the people are still living in the apartment. (A man a woman and two kids sometimes one kid all cramped in her bedroom because she had them camping out in the living room). I do not feel that I should keep paying rent for other people to live in my home. Besides the roommate violating the lease she is dirty and has caused us to have roaches on and off. I have asked her multiple times to clean after herself. Its to the point that im at my wits end. This is not the first time she had someone living in the apartment her cousin lived with us a month and half two weeks after we moved in. I am just fed up and considering putting my share of the rent in escrow. I just am not sure if this is smart and how I can avoid being effected by her actions with the leasing office.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FarmerJ

Had you considered just moving out and make sure you tell management in writing and tell them they should not waste ANY time getting her out even if it means eviction and plan on giving management your new address and once you have paid off the LL to sue her. AS to your own needs perhaps you should find a LL who wont have a problem with you and your daughter occupying a studio in order to let you save money.

quincy

Had you considered just moving out and make sure you tell management in writing and tell them they should not waste ANY time getting her out even if it means eviction and plan on giving management your new address and once you have paid off the LL to sue her. AS to your own needs perhaps you should find a LL who wont have a problem with you and your daughter occupying a studio in order to let you save money.
FarmerJ, are you really advising that aryhicas breach the lease?

LdiJ

I agree it is legal. It also means aryhicas can be held liable for 6 months of rent on a place she does not occupy.
This is true, but it would get her away from those people. Sometimes getting away from a bad situation is safer and wiser than staying. OP, I suspect that you are getting very close to getting evicted from the apartment if she really is three months behind in paying the rent. It will be hard for you to rent another place once you have an eviction on your record. You really should find another place before that happens. Yes, you may end up on the hook for rent for the place you are in now, but that is better than waiting until its too late and the eviction is already on your record.

quincy

This is true, but it would get her away from those people.
Yes. But if "those people" destroy the rental, aryhicas can learn that her escape from them is a very costly one.

Alternatives: Get a lock for the bedroom door; sublet the apartment; put more pressure on the landlord to enforce occupancy rules ...

If the unwanted occupants were a known safety risk or committing illegal acts, I would have different advice.

LdiJ

Yes. But if "those people" destroy the rental, aryhicas can learn that her escape from them is a very costly one.

Alternatives: Get a lock for the bedroom door; sublet the apartment; put more pressure on the landlord to enforce occupancy rules ...

If the unwanted occupants were a known safety risk or committing illegal acts, I would have different advice.
The roommate is three months behind in rent. Its virtually guaranteed that they are going to be evicted soon. It will be nearly impossible to get another place with an eviction on the OP's record. The OP needs to find another place before that happens. Your advice would be fine if the rent was paid up, but its not.

quincy

The roommate is three months behind in rent. Its virtually guaranteed that they are going to be evicted soon. It will be nearly impossible to get another place with an eviction on the OP's record. The OP needs to find another place before that happens. Your advice would be fine if the rent was paid up, but its not.
It is my understanding from the first post that the full rent is currently being covered by aryhicas - and she doesn't want to continue to cover the roommate's portion of the rent.

But she COULD be held liable for the entire rent if she leaves and the roommate (and friends) remain. It might not be for the remaining term of the lease if the roommate is evicted but aryhicas can be held responsible for damages to the rental.

LdiJ

It is my understanding from the first post that the full rent is currently being covered by aryhicas - and she doesn't want to continue to cover the roommate's portion of the rent.

But she COULD be held liable for the entire rent if she leaves and the roommate (and friends) remain. It might not be for the remaining term of the lease if the roommate is evicted but aryhicas can be held responsible for damages to the rental.
This is what she said about the rent:

She was also three months behind on her share of the rent which reflects negatively on me even though we are both jointly responsible according to the lease.
If the OP was paying the full rent then why would anything reflect negatively on her?

OP, please clarify whether or not the landlord has been paid in full.

quincy

This is what she said about the rent:

If the OP was paying the full rent then why would anything reflect negatively on her?

OP, please clarify whether or not the landlord has been paid in full.
She said: "I do not feel that I should keep paying rent for other people to live in my home."

She was asking about escrowing her share of the rent.

But I agree that clarification would be nice.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

ALL tenants should understand the consequences of breaking a lease and some times they just don't have a choice if they cannot fix the problem especially when it comes to roommate problems SO op I suggest you start by going and getting a post office box and getting the LL to install a lock on your bedroom door and using real paper letters sent to the LL via confirmed mail delivery or certified mail with your complaints about the roommate violating the lease so you have a real paper trail showing that you have asked for their help to resolve the problem and stay on them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">