• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance Confusion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jende

In her will my grandmother stated that I should receive one sixth of the sale of her property in Aspen, Colorado. The property recently sold for $3.1 million. My two maternal aunts (A & C) owned the property. At the time of the sale, for some reason Aunt A put my name on the deed without my knowledge.

In the process of giving me my grandmother's promised portion of the property sale receipt, Aunt A put the money into four CDs under both our names. I let her do this to secure the nearly half million dollars. In the meantime, she informed me that she was expecting me to contribute to her capital gains tax burden. I agreed and earmarked the largest of the four CDs for that purpose. For the last several months I have gained interest on the four CDs. Three of the CDs have matured, and I am reinvesting two of them in my name. When the third CD matures, I will reinvest that one likewise.

Here's the interesting part. When the fourth CD matured, Aunt A apparently withdrew the money and placed into her own account, ostensibly to have it available for paying the tax in April. However, I no longer gain from the interest on that amount. In fact, I no longer have any records of the dispostion of that money.

In summary, Aunt A gave me about $500,000 per my grandmother's promised bequest and then took back $150,000 of it with which to pay the tax but did not consult with me or save the money under both our names. In effect, she gave with one hand and took back with the other.

I feel cheated. Why was I put on the deed at that last minute without my knowledge? Am I expected to pay part of the capital gains tax on an inheritance? Why am I not collecting interest on money previously given to me? Do I have any legal recourse to gain back money already given to me?

Unfortunately, few of these transactions are in writing. I have only my grandmother's handwritten will that did not go through probate. I also have statements of the four CD deposits with running accounts of their interest until they matured. I have asked my Aunt to inform me of the location of my money from the fourth CD and also asked for an accounting of the interest and the upcoming part of the tax I'm expected to pay. So far, she has not replied.

Should I talk with a lawyer? If so, what type?

Thank you for any advice.

anteater

Jende said:
...My two maternal aunts (A & C) owned the property.

I feel cheated.

Unfortunately, few of these transactions are in writing. I have only my grandmother's handwritten will that did not go through probate.
I think that you should take what you got and be content.

What all this sounds like is generosity on the part of your aunts.

seniorjudge

Jende said:
In her will my grandmother stated that I should receive one sixth of the sale of her property in Aspen, Colorado. The property recently sold for $3.1 million. My two maternal aunts (A & C) owned the property. At the time of the sale, for some reason Aunt A put my name on the deed without my knowledge.

In the process of giving me my grandmother's promised portion of the property sale receipt, Aunt A put the money into four CDs under both our names. I let her do this to secure the nearly half million dollars. In the meantime, she informed me that she was expecting me to contribute to her capital gains tax burden. I agreed and earmarked the largest of the four CDs for that purpose. For the last several months I have gained interest on the four CDs. Three of the CDs have matured, and I am reinvesting two of them in my name. When the third CD matures, I will reinvest that one likewise.

Here's the interesting part. When the fourth CD matured, Aunt A apparently withdrew the money and placed into her own account, ostensibly to have it available for paying the tax in April. However, I no longer gain from the interest on that amount. In fact, I no longer have any records of the dispostion of that money.

In summary, Aunt A gave me about $500,000 per my grandmother's promised bequest and then took back $150,000 of it with which to pay the tax but did not consult with me or save the money under both our names. In effect, she gave with one hand and took back with the other.

I feel cheated. Why was I put on the deed at that last minute without my knowledge? Am I expected to pay part of the capital gains tax on an inheritance? Why am I not collecting interest on money previously given to me? Do I have any legal recourse to gain back money already given to me?

Unfortunately, few of these transactions are in writing. I have only my grandmother's handwritten will that did not go through probate. I also have statements of the four CD deposits with running accounts of their interest until they matured. I have asked my Aunt to inform me of the location of my money from the fourth CD and also asked for an accounting of the interest and the upcoming part of the tax I'm expected to pay. So far, she has not replied.

Should I talk with a lawyer? If so, what type?

Thank you for any advice.
I have only my grandmother's handwritten will that did not go through probate.

There's your problem; nothing was probated and everyone is floundering around in assumptions.

You don't say when grandma died, but go see a probate lawyer in Colorado to see if you have waited too long or not.

anteater

seniorjudge said:
I have only my grandmother's handwritten will that did not go through probate.

There's your problem; nothing was probated and everyone is floundering around in assumptions.

You don't say when grandma died, but go see a probate lawyer in Colorado to see if you have waited too long or not.
But how was grandma giving away 1/6th of a property owned by two aunts?

Jende

Waste of Time

Even though I received scant useful advice but plenty of ego blasts, I'll answer the one question asked.

Here's the question reeking of sarcastic condescension: "But how was grandma giving away 1/6th of a property owned by two aunts?"

And here's my answer: The implication by mention of her will is that grandma of course died and left the property to her two daughters. If grandma were still alive, she'd most likely be included as a continuing participant in this situation, wouldn't she?

Now, since none of the respondents stepped off their high horses long enough to grant me reasonable replies to my question about hiring a lawyer, I'll look elsewhere and hope to find someone who is willing to communicate with me respectfully.

I leave you all to your self-important jibing at hapless people seeking advice.

seniorjudge

Jende said:
Even though I received scant useful advice but plenty of ego blasts, I'll answer the one question asked.

Here's the question reeking of sarcastic condescension: "But how was grandma giving away 1/6th of a property owned by two aunts?"

And here's my answer: The implication by mention of her will is that grandma of course died and left the property to her two daughters. If grandma were still alive, she'd most likely be included as a continuing participant in this situation, wouldn't she?

Now, since none of the respondents stepped off their high horses long enough to grant me reasonable replies to my question about hiring a lawyer, I'll look elsewhere and hope to find someone who is willing to communicate with me respectfully.

****okay****

justalayman

Jende said:

I guess if grandma was still alive we wouldn't have to have read this post at all.:eek:

anteater

Jende said:

And here's my answer: The implication by mention of her will is that grandma of course died and left the property to her two daughters.
Oh yeah, the will of doubtful validity that was never probated.

.....self-important jibing at hapless people seeking advice.
You want "reeking of sarcastic condesecension?" Here's some:

Too many lattes destroy your brain. Go crawl back into your Starbucks-induced haze and nurture your victimhood.

By all means, retain a lawyer. A therapist might also help.

I always jibe self-importantly at hapless people who have just been handed $350K.

BlondiePB

Jende said:

Just what part of your grandmother no longer owned the property did you not understand? :rolleyes:

BlondiePB

anteater said:
Oh yeah, the will of doubtful validity that was never probated.

You want "reeking of sarcastic condesecension?" Here's some:

Too many lattes destroy your brain. Go crawl back into your Starbucks-induced haze and nurture your victimhood.

By all means, retain a lawyer. A therapist might also help.

I always jibe self-importantly at hapless people who have just been handed $350K.
Good one, anteater.

seniorjudge

Jende said:
In her will my grandmother stated that I should receive one sixth of the sale of her property in Aspen, Colorado. The property recently sold for $3.1 million. My two maternal aunts (A & C) owned the property. ....

Poster is clearly unable to explain things....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">