• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inhumsne treatment of an animal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can foresee several arguments being made against you. Your dog knowing how to "knock" to come in does not equate to actually being let in. What would the general response time be to her "knock"? That may well be a factor, especially with regards to an elderly and obviously unwell animal. And that latter point may well do you in. 88 pounds for an adult St Bernard (even a smaller one) borders on emaciated. Can you show the amount of time over which that weight loss occurred? Did she have a medical condition that is documented for the weight loss? The city will likely argue that you had the dog euthanized as a result of the charges, as opposed to her welfare. In your shoes? I would at least consult with an attorney.

I can foresee several arguments being made against you. Your dog knowing how to "knock" to come in does not equate to actually being let in. What would the general response time be to her "knock"? That may well be a factor, especially with regards to an elderly and obviously unwell animal. And that latter point may well do you in. 88 pounds for an adult St Bernard (even a smaller one) borders on emaciated. Can you show the amount of time over which that weight loss occurred? Did she have a medical condition that is documented for the weight loss? The city will likely argue that you had the dog euthanized as a result of the charges, as opposed to her welfare. In your shoes? I would at least consult with an attorney.
Thank you. Im not good at this ..My girl was half St Bernard Half Pitbull so she was a little overfed actually.

What is the name of your state?
Texas
I have recently dealt with the people next door, who had a dog they left outside, and didn't even live in the house! Through the years, the doghouse got torn down, became non functional and there was the dog, in the yard, with no shelter. Did you make trips, go on vacations, travel, leave the property and leave the dog where it could not get into the house, were there times when the weather was bad when "Sabrina" couldn't knock on your door and be admitted? This was an outside dog, with a thick coat of hair, like a St. Bernard but excuse me, when the dog has no place to be except a really cold wet yard, or a really hot miserable shadeless yard, and you're gone, not paying attention to her, that's really abuse. If you loved this dog so much, WHY no outdoor doghouse or shelter?

I would bet money that if you try to defend yourself and they find out about it, there will be a bunch of people show up from around the neighborhood (we had animal welfare on speed dial, as did most of our neighbors) and angrily disagree with your maintaining that you took such excellent care of this dog, when no shelter was provided for her outdoors. You weren't there 100% of the time, she was.

This dog we were so concerned about lived to a ripe old age, but that was partly due to our constant vigilance and care which we sneaked over and provided, the constant checks by animal welfare, and in the meantime, these darn people were fostering other dogs for the adoption society at their other home. Pay the fine. Having no shelter was a mistake.
Ive always paid attention to my dog and there is shade in my yard and my goodness you're dramatical .

I have recently dealt with the people next door, who had a dog they left outside, and didn't even live in the house! Through the years, the doghouse got torn down, became non functional and there was the dog, in the yard, with no shelter. Did you make trips, go on vacations, travel, leave the property and leave the dog where it could not get into the house, were there times when the weather was bad when "Sabrina" couldn't knock on your door and be admitted? This was an outside dog, with a thick coat of hair, like a St. Bernard but excuse me, when the dog has no place to be except a really cold wet yard, or a really hot miserable shadeless yard, and you're gone, not paying attention to her, that's really abuse. If you loved this dog so much, WHY no outdoor doghouse or shelter?

I would bet money that if you try to defend yourself and they find out about it, there will be a bunch of people show up from around the neighborhood (we had animal welfare on speed dial, as did most of our neighbors) and angrily disagree with your maintaining that you took such excellent care of this dog, when no shelter was provided for her outdoors. You weren't there 100% of the time, she was.

This dog we were so concerned about lived to a ripe old age, but that was partly due to our constant vigilance and care which we sneaked over and provided, the constant checks by animal welfare, and in the meantime, these darn people were fostering other dogs for the adoption society at their other home. Pay the fine. Having no shelter was a mistake.
Ive had shelter in my yard over the years but Sabrina never once went in any of them .They were nice ..Instead she went under a bush or dug a little whole

ShyCat

If you're required to provide shelter, then that's what you do even if she doesn't want to use it. I haven't looked but I doubt the law says "provide adequate shelter unless the dog doesn't want to use it".

Ive had shelter in my yard over the years but Sabrina never once went in any of them .They were nice ..Instead she went under a bush or dug a little w
hole.She pretty much came in and went out when she wanted ..My house was owned by her as far as i was concerned ..There were a few times i left the back door where she could push it ooen if it was gonba be bad and when id get home it would be snowig in my house but only when I was in a pinch.Whats inhumane is the amount of the fine.Its ridiculous in my opinion
Texas

Ive always paid attention to my dog and there is shade in my yard and my goodness you're dramatical .Thanks so much though.

commentator

From my "dramatical" experience working with animal control about the dog in our neighborhood, their standards were VERY LOW. That they actually gave you a citation indicates to me that something was amiss, because the pitiful doghouse that was in the yard of our neighbors, regardless of the condition it was in, even though it filled with water and was muddy inside, actually wouldn't have been a good place to take shelter, sufficed to pass for adequate shelter according to our animal control. They out and out told me that their definition of adequate food (according to the similar statute in our state) was did the dog have ribs showing, and adequate water was water provided at least once every two or three days.

My point is that in the thirteen years she was there and mostly outside, did you ever leave home during bad weather when there was no one there to answer her "knocking" or did you ever go on vacation or take a trip where there were several days when the dog was out in bad weather digging holes and lying under bushes in the sight of your neighbors? That your many years neighbors called in a complaint indicates to me that perhaps your explanations about how happy and warm and well cared for the dog was weren't flying at least with them due to observation. And animal control usually doesn't just run over and drop you a citation because of the neighbors saying there's a problem. Texas is one of those states, like my own, where most people don't get over involved in pet safety, has lots of outdoor dogs that are treated marginally and the attitude is that people have the right to care for their pets pretty casually.

A good doghouse, whether the dog used it or not, would probably have cost you about what this fine is. So I'd say you're breaking even here if you are not able to argue them out of the fine.

Last edited:
From my "dramatical" experience working with animal control about the dog in our neighborhood, their standards were VERY LOW. That they actually gave you a citation indicates to me that something was amiss, because the pitiful doghouse that was in the yard of our neighbors, regardless of the condition it was in, even though it filled with water and was muddy inside, actually wouldn't have been a good place to take shelter, sufficed to pass for adequate shelter according to our animal control. They out and out told me that their definition of adequate food (according to the similar statute in our state) was did the dog have ribs showing, and adequate water was water provided at least once every two or three days.

My point is that in the thirteen years she was there and mostly outside, did you ever leave home during bad weather when there was no one there to answer her "knocking" or did you ever go on vacation or take a trip where there were several days when the dog was out in bad weather digging holes and lying under bushes in the sight of your neighbors? That your many years neighbors called in a complaint indicates to me that perhaps your explanations about how happy and warm and well cared for the dog was weren't flying at least with them due to observation. And animal control usually doesn't just run over and drop you a citation because of the neighbors saying there's a problem. Texas is one of those states, like my own, where most people don't get over involved in pet safety, has lots of outdoor dogs that are treated marginally and the attitude is that people have the right to care for their pets pretty casually.

A good doghouse, whether the dog used it or not, would probably have cost you about what this fine is. So I'd say you're breaking even here if you are not able to argue them out of the fine.
i know you are right but over the years i had an igloo and a red barn and a couple other dog houses but she would not ever go in one .I was very particular over Sabrina to the point my children were jealous.They did help me take care of her if I had to be gone or if a storm was coming and i wasnt totaly perfect the whole 13 years.if ever the gate got left open she would be in the yard when I got home because she had a good home and life with me.She was special to my grandchildren and to my sisters and my neighbhors and a couple postmen.Two or three times I had to go to work and the weather was gonna be bad and she would push my back door open and get in ..It snowed in my houuse and was by no means Ideal but she had shelter and sir she spent a lot of her time indoors.I have many pictures of her in my house but if it snowed(rarely) she wanted outside and she was made for cold weather but she spent all nights inside as she srarted aging.I knew our time was limited so I did pet her because i love her dearly.I just didnt have a dog house because i never got her to go in one.Thanks for your input.im not the neighbor. from hell you had though.I kept my dog comfortable as i was until the last of her days .She was starting to fail.i took her to be put down about one week before and brought her back home.But i had to go ahead and let her go because I couldnt let her hurt ..She was too big and she was having trouble gettig up ..I have pics if her in 2007 when she was a pup.She was spade and I gave her meds for her hips. She had gotten cataracts also....So things might not be as bad as you are thinking..She was happy and i have two shelters for her now but she didnt go in either one. Also the city of Amarillo is fundraising .They lost their red light cameras.I will not be giving them one cent.

If you're required to provide shelter, then that's what you do even if she doesn't want to use it. I haven't looked but I doubt the law says "provide adequate shelter unless the dog doesn't want to use it".
My dog has shelter inside my house.i did buy two shelters but the only thing stepped inside was a stray alley cat.

Also iI hate being wasteful buying things to rot in my yard ...She never would get in a doghouse ..I should hav got her in one when she was very young.13 years and never had any issue ..I'm thinking I said something that may have struck a nerve in a democrat or the city's facebook possibly..People pop off fireworks for 2 or 3 weeks around here ..I think the cityshould try to give the poor dogs a break ..Very stressful to her.I loved and love my dog .Only one Sabrina My heart is broken.

My dog has shelter inside my house.i did buy two shelters but the only thing stepped inside was a stray alley cat.
Also iI hate being wasteful buying things to rot in my yard ...She never would get in a doghouse ..I should hav got her in one when she was very young.13 years and never had any issue ..I'm thinking I said something that may have struck a nerve in a democrat or the city's facebook possibly..People pop off fireworks for 2 or 3 weeks around here ..I think the cityshould try to give the poor dogs a break ..Very stressful to her.I loved and love my dog .Only one Sabrina My heart is broken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">