• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured at gun show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ETex2

UPDATE - I am still having pain and infections in this ear (almost 9 months now from date of injury). Second opinion from new ENT says I could be having recurring infections for years. I have found a lawyer I will use in case there is no settlement. Do insurance companies REALLY want to settle these matters without a suit or can I expect this to be dragged out for years? I believe my pain and suffering damages have risen to a completely new level.

The best protection is to wear muffs as well as some type of plug. My ENT advises this and that's what I've tried to do. Lots of shotgunners do not like muffs since they can interfere with gun positioning, but I don't mind it.

No comments on my above question - insurance co. wanting medical records?
Some training w/o hearing protection is advisable. Because if an intruder does enter your house you are not going to put on hearing protection (you want to hear at that point)...and you should be accustomed to the "loudness" of the discharge of the weapon. If its too loud to handle w/o hearing protection then choose another weapon for that purpose.

ETex2

Some training w/o hearing protection is advisable. Because if an intruder does enter your house you are not going to put on hearing protection (you want to hear at that point)...and you should be accustomed to the "loudness" of the discharge of the weapon. If its too loud to handle w/o hearing protection then choose another weapon for that purpose.
I have no idea what this has to do with any of my questions or my update I just posted. FYI, I shoot competitive shotgun sports, but I also have a CHL and target shoot. I am a former hunter and have spent tons of time training and shooting with various types of weapons. Hearing protection is needed whenever you go to the range or shoot repeatedly.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have no idea what this has to do with any of my questions or my update I just posted. FYI, I shoot competitive shotgun sports, but I also have a CHL and target shoot. I am a former hunter and have spent tons of time training and shooting with various types of weapons. Hearing protection is needed whenever you go to the range or shoot repeatedly.
Started one is well known around here of late for pointless and nonsensical posts such as that. Don't feel bad - it really has nothing to do with you.

ETex2

You don't "have to" allow them to do anything, but they are certainly not going to pay you for your injuries unless you can substantiate them via medical records. Perhaps what they were alluding to is that insurance companies tend to ask for medical records from the day you were born to the present, which is rather overbroad and unnecessary. Assuming you did not have a preexisting ear problem, you would just have to give them records that were relevant to your injury and subsequent treatment.

Whether you "should" give them access to the pertinent records is a question you will have to answer for yourself. Good luck.
They have all of my medical records now, including the records from the 2nd opinion doc that told me this could continue to give me problems for years to come. No pre-existing problems. Pain is occuring almost every day now. Several different meds by 4 different docs that have been prescribed haven't helped. Surgery "might" help, but the recent ENT doesn't recommend it.

W

Willlyjo

They have all of my medical records now, including the records from the 2nd opinion doc that told me this could continue to give me problems for years to come. No pre-existing problems. Pain is occuring almost every day now. Several different meds by 4 different docs that have been prescribed haven't helped. Surgery "might" help, but the recent ENT doesn't recommend it.
Normally, once all the information is recieved by the insurance company, your lawyer will be successful in negotiating a settlement. You are the only one who can accept or decline the settlement based on all your circumstances. Once in a while, the insurance will force you to litigate on toward trial. From everything that you've posted thus far, I don't see going to trial happening since there is a great degree of liability shown.

Usually an insurance company has a certain amount capped for medical bills and a higher amount which will enable them to pay a reasonable "Pain and Suffering" award. Sometimes it takes a bit of litigation before you can find out what the insurance company don't want to tell you and that is how much money they really have.

ETex2

I found this website that discusses personal injury cases, and it seems to apply to mine. Has it been the experience of those here that these are the criteria that judges and juries consider? In other words, should I rely on this information when making my decision to go forward? I am particularly interested in the statement about having a physician testify that "it is more likely than not" that future treatment will be required, etc.. BTW - I do not endorse this law firm; they aren't even in my city or close to me. I just found it to be good information for anyone with a potential personal injury claim. If it is indeed "good", that is. Thanks

http://www.civtrial.com/auto/personal-injury-claims-how-do-juries-decide-cases/

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">