• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brownjd

my wife recently died and we both lived together in texas. she had no will or living trust, and we have no children. she has life insurance through work but did not designate a beneficiary. Am I the sole beneficiary for this policy? I am supposed to complete a sole survivors form for the insurance company which would list her parents, brothers, sisters, etc. Is this just for information purposes? Will there be some type of delay in receiving the death benefit because of the non-beneficiary designation?

ALawyer

Unless there is a "facility of payment clause" in the group policy, so the insurance company would pay a spouse by default, the proceeds would go to her heirs at law under Texas law.

As I understand it under Texas' law of intestate distribution (I AM NOT A TX LAWYER THOUGH) a spouse is entitled to the first $X of your late wife's estate and a percentage of the rest, and her her parents are entitled to the remaining part.

Depending on the amount of the policy it may be possible to get by with the simplified small estate procedure. Ask the county probate clerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">