• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Co. acting like Landlord!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JakeSpeed

California

We are homeowners.

We have an insurance company that seems to be trying to get rid of us as customers.

I won't go into all of the details here but this latest fiasco has me quite upset.

A couple of months ago we get a letter from our insurance company notifying us that their sending a risk assessment company to our home to "assess" our property.

We just got the report.

The insurance company is demanding we remove the Boston Ivy from our exterior walls and eaves or they'll cancel our policy!

We love the Boston Ivy and have no intentions of removing it! Half of America is covered in Ivy! Does that mean their not insured? What's next - the color of our cement clashes with the sky?

Can an insurance company go to your home and tell you what you can and can't have in it, on it or around it?

HomeGuru

JakeSpeed said:
California

We are homeowners.

We have an insurance company that seems to be trying to get rid of us as customers.

I won't go into all of the details here but this latest fiasco has me quite upset.

A couple of months ago we get a letter from our insurance company notifying us that their sending a risk assessment company to our home to "assess" our property.

We just got the report.

The insurance company is demanding we remove the Boston Ivy from our exterior walls and eaves or they'll cancel our policy!

We love the Boston Ivy and have no intentions of removing it! Half of America is covered in Ivy! Does that mean their not insured? What's next - the color of our cement clashes with the sky?

Can an insurance company go to your home and tell you what you can and can't have in it, on it or around it?
**A: and what did they tell you was their real reason for the request? It was not only for looks.

H

hexeliebe

PICK ME!!

PICK ME!!!

Awww hell, I guess I'll wait to hear what the Ins. company says.

But still, I'm going to be waiting because I KNOW THE ANSWER(S)!!!!

:D

J

JakeSpeed

The reason for the assessment was, "to point out conditions that may cause or exaggerate losses to your property, or injury to family members or visitors".

So the Boston Ivy may be a fire hazard? So is carpet, the wood used to build your home, your furniture, your car in the garage could "exaggerate losses", the ant spray you spray all over.

Am I missing something here?

HomeGuru

JakeSpeed said:
The reason for the assessment was, "to point out conditions that may cause or exaggerate losses to your property, or injury to family members or visitors".

So the Boston Ivy may be a fire hazard? So is carpet, the wood used to build your home, your furniture, your car in the garage could "exaggerate losses", the ant spray you spray all over.

Am I missing something here?
**A: yes. Read my post again.

J

JakeSpeed

That's it Hexy. That's all they said. They stated it was a "maintenance issue" and that it "should be removed before the next renewal or we risk being cancelled".

J

JakeSpeed

The "real reason"? I don't think they tell you the "real reason" do they? I think it's to drop us. Perhaps their not making enough money off us or something.

Guys, I don't do well on pop quiz's and I'm sure I'm failing this one miserably. Let me in on the "real reason" won't you?

HomeGuru

JakeSpeed said:
That's it Hexy. That's all they said. They stated it was a "maintenance issue" and that it "should be removed before the next renewal or we risk being cancelled".
**A: Hello? And why was it a maintenance issue? Aren't you watering, fertilizing and talking to the ivy vines with a Bostonian accent?

Last edited:

gobonas99

Hey Homey baby - can I give a try at the answer? :)

-Christina

Edit: PS - what is "tertilizing"? :)

Last edited:
J

JakeSpeed

Ha! Ha! IT's the dead of winter! The Boston Ivy is in hybernation. Come spring it will turn a brilliant green once again and be just fine.

Was that it? I think I'm still lost.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Here's the reason . . .

In the event of a damage claim, they don't want the expense of removing the Ivy from your walls, etc., in order to get to the damaged areas.

That Ivy is expensive to remove. So, the insurance company wants YOU to pay for its removal.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">