• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Co. acting like Landlord!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JakeSpeed

But is it not my right to have ivy on my exterior walls? In the event of a damage claim breaking through mortar and stucco is expensive too? Should I remove the stucco?

That can't be it...

gobonas99

HomeGuru said:
**A: ok, Christina, you go girl. Then hexy is next.
Okay....thanks, homey :)

Jake -

The insurance company wants you to remove the ivy because as it grows, it can work itself under your siding or into the mortar and damage the outside walls of your home. Also, when it grows high enough to reach the roof, it can grow under your roofing shingles and damage your roof. Let this go on long enough and have a few nice rain/snow storms, and you'll be looking at a nice big water damage problem. PLUS..once this happens, the ivy is a b*tch to remove, and the cost to do so is expensive as h*ll (and not something you can do yourself). However, you may be able to remove it yourself, if damage has not occurred yet.

Not to mention the fact that you could get some idiot who may try to CLIMB it fall and injure themselves on your property.

-Christina

PS - How'd I do, homey? :)

H

hexeliebe

Almost perfect.

There is also a very large fire hazzard.

In other words, either get rid of the ivy, keep it trimmed or change insurance companies.

Just for your information, I pay $6,500 a year for home insurance. And I have IVY all over the damn place. Now, want to pay what I'm paying ?

J

JakeSpeed

Hexy... Ivy gone! Ivy bad! Ivy Very bad!

Thank you all for helping me understand the situation.

H

hexeliebe

I think that's more than an adequate response.

Have a ball and you're welcome.

HomeGuru

JakeSpeed said:
Hexy... Ivy gone! Ivy bad! Ivy Very bad!

Thank you all for helping me understand the situation.
**A: but what was the real reason as stated by the insurance company?

J

JakeSpeed

Again with the "real reason" stuff.

I guess I still haven't gotten that one right huh?

Ok, how about this: The real reason for the request was..., ..., was, ..., "to provide me, the insured, with the best possible homeowners coverage for our premium dollar" - as stated in the insurance company's letter.

Did I get it right this time?

HomeGuru

Ok, you did good. But why did the insurance company not allow the vines? What would happen to the home if the vines were allowed?

J

JakeSpeed

Besides being a fire hazard when dormant I suppose a loss in the value of the home as well.

It still doesn't make complete sense but I've taken the ivy down.

Dandy Don

Did the insurance company ever tell you specifically that the ivy was a fire hazard or did they give you some other reason? Send me an e-mail message so I can give you some options for challenging this that are too lengthy to post here.

DANDY DON ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">