• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance doesn't want to reach a suitable agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Searchertwin

What is the name of your state? MO

My vehicle was hit sideways by a teenager. My car was totaled. Their insurance only wants to pay $1,000 minus $275 for salvage and minus $500 for a large dent. Which leave about $225. I have invested nearly $600.00 this past month on tires and repair. Like everyone else, I keep my car up due to good gas mileage that I get, 40 mpg.. To buy same model and year is around $2,500 to $3000...They refuse to give any more or repair the car...I told them that I want the car fixed or $3000 to replace..they refuse...I have till Thursday to return the rental car..which leaves me without a vehicle to go to work or go to store....what are my options?
Any information would be helpful..thanks

momm2500

what is the blue book value of the car? the insurance company can total the car out and only pay you the blue book value.

ecmst12

You are owed fair market value of the vehicle, not replacement cost nor "blue book" value (which is inflated and not realistic). Maintenence does NOT add value to the car. It is normal cost of ownership and if you did not do it, you would not be able to drive the car, or it would subtract value. Bald tires would take value away, acceptable tire tread is expected. If you can find evidence of the same model, year, and CONDITION (including mileage and prior damage) of car going for more then $1000, then submit the evidence to the insurance company. If they don't want to offer you more, you can go to small claims court, but you'd better have really good evidence of your car's value, because the reports that insurance companies use to determine value have been tested in court and do stand up.

The PP is correct, they won't pay you for standard maintenance on the car. However, if you made UPGRADES to the car (i.e. CD player instead of tape deck.. blah blah) submit the receipts and you may be able to get a little more money from them for that. If the tires were standard tires just put on to replace some that were worn out - they'll file those receipts neatly in the trash can for you.

Searchertwin

Thanks

Thanks for your replies....This was the first time I have encountered this type of claim and I was pretty sure of what I needed to do, but was nice to have different opinions to insure me that I was right. I am thankful that it was nothing more than this and not a life threathing incident...Again, thanks to you all...take care...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">