• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intentionally spreading HIV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJWhitt

What is the name of your state? Texas

Is it considered a criminal act if someone who knows they are HIV positive and they have sex without disclosing this to their sexual partner and THAT person becomes infected as a result? Let's assume infecting their partner was intentional. What, would be the charges, if any, brought against someone so vile?

:eek:

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? Texas

Is it considered a criminal act if someone who knows they are HIV positive and they have sex without disclosing this to their sexual partner and THAT person becomes infected as a result? Let's assume infecting their partner was intentional. What, would be the charges, if any, brought against someone so vile?

:eek:

There are some states that have introduced legislation that makes intentionally infecting a person with certain STD's criminal... I believe if you google it, there was an instance in NY where a man infected SEVERAL women with HIV and was eventually charged with attempted murder...

In CA I believe there is some case law... he could definately be held civilly if you could prove the circumstances.

redlady

Not only do gay people and drug users get infected with HIV. EVERYONE can become infe cted regardless of your sexual orientation. Yes. if a person gave you HIV while they knew they had this is considered attempted murder and that person can be charged. But you have to prove he knew and he gave it to you.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Instances of HIV infection are greater through heterosexual contact than through injection drug use. In Puerto Rico and Africa, HIV infection is far more prominent among heterosexuals than homosexuals.

Don't share needles and don't have unprotected sex with anyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

Edit: Oh, and also don't have unprotected sex with a man who is already on the hook to someone else for child support.

Last edited by a moderator:

shelliemac

Justice for All

In South Carolina it is unlawful for anyone infected with a venereal disease to knowingly expose another to infection. If convicted, it is punishable by up to 10 years or $5000 (S.C. Code of Laws, Section 44-29-60).

I work in public health in South Carolina, and I see many women and men fall victim to persons who do not care about themselves or others, and who have infected many innocent people. We have a lot of trouble with conviction under the above statute...is there any other avenue for a victim to press charges against the person who has infected or exposed them? I've read that in some states a person can be charged with attempted murder. What are our options here in SC?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">