• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inter-family reverse mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dgordon623

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

My parents own a co-op in Minnesota and have a large tax bill due. I would like to loan them the money via a reverse mortgage, and just collect from their estate later on.

1) are there any do-it-yourself forms for reverse mortgages?
2) is there a tax event for my parents when they receive the money from me?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Yes it can be done, but in order to make sure that everything gets favorable tax status I suggest you get professional help (a lawyer or accountant who knows how to set these things up).

A properly done reverse mortgage has no tax implications as the money is taken out, the interest is deductible by the estate. Also, the money needed to repay the loan upon your parent's death means that there is less money in the estate that is subject to estate tax as well (though this sounds like it's not an issue, at least federally for you). Of course, you will have to pay taxes on the interest.

A few questions: How old are both of your parents? How likely are they likely to continue to live in the coop? What is the coop worth? You say they have a large tax bill? From what? Are they likely to have futher tax problems?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">