• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

international father rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disturbeddreame

What is the name of your state? florida

just wondering if the biological father is international can he stop me from giving my child up for adoption?
thanks,

moburkes

What is the name of your state? florida

just wondering if the biological father is international can he stop me from giving my child up for adoption?
thanks,
I'm not sure what an international parent is, but, yes, he can. If he is not interested in giving the child up for adoption, you can agree for him to parent the child himself, instead.

nextwife

If this is a US adoption, yes he can. The US is a signatory to The Hague convention. And this gives bioparents of a child certain rights when an adoption is planned. My child was adopted in her birth country, and even there, after two years of abandonment in an orphanage, after going through all the legal steps, we STILL had to wait for a statutory "publication period" during which the biological father could have potentially claimed his parental rights.

http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/convention/convention_462.html

And the US is much stricter than her birth country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">