• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Invalid Car Title Scheme

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Devin11

I live in Florida. I recently purchased a 2003 Blazer from someone for $700. The car was clean and I asked seems to good to be true y are u selling? He said he just didn’t need it anymore. So after convincing me I purchased it and had him fill out the title sign an date. The title was legit and had a dye of 11-18-18 which was just a few weeks prior so it seemed legit. When went to transfer the title the dmv told me there was a new one printed out after that one more recently. So when I contacted the seller to get updated title he is saying he wants his truck back and I took advantage of him and he was under the influence and all these liesabiut the deal. I do have him admitting I paid him for it in our text and I have the car, the car keys, and the bad title..I have someone ready to purchase it from me. What to do???

quincy

I live in Florida. I recently purchased a 2003 Blazer from someone for $700. The car was clean and I asked seems to good to be true y are u selling? He said he just didn’t need it anymore. So after convincing me I purchased it and had him fill out the title sign an date. The title was legit and had a dye of 11-18-18 which was just a few weeks prior so it seemed legit. When went to transfer the title the dmv told me there was a new one printed out after that one more recently. So when I contacted the seller to get updated title he is saying he wants his truck back and I took advantage of him and he was under the influence and all these liesabiut the deal. I do have him admitting I paid him for it in our text and I have the car, the car keys, and the bad title..I have someone ready to purchase it from me. What to do???
What did the DMV give as the reason for a new title being issued for the vehicle?

Devin11

The dmv didn’t give me any reason they just said It was another title printed out after the one I have and I needed to go back to the seller and obtain it. I did hear them discussing something about a “duplicate “ behind the counter amongst themselves.

xylene

He title jumped you and you were planning on title jumping as well.

Unless you are a licensed car dealer, you can not sell a car without new title in your name.

LdiJ

Make him give you back your money and you give him back the car.

JakobOhio

Unless you are a licensed car dealer, you can not sell a car without new title in your name.
I don't think that. I think title holder sold car, regretted it, and then got a duplicate title. Maybe he was under the influence of something.

Problem for OP is he didn't sign the title in front of a notary,

I think all he has left is to get his money back, and give the car back - he even admitted he thought it was "too good to be true"

Devin11

If you read my whole post you would see I tried to go get it transferred at dmv n they told me it was a duplicate out there..I sell used cars all the time from an auction I know that much about it..doesn’t even make sense to say I was planning on title jumping! Smh

quincy

If you read my whole post you would see I tried to go get it transferred at dmv n they told me it was a duplicate out there..I sell used cars all the time from an auction I know that much about it..doesn’t even make sense to say I was planning on title jumping! Smh
It is recommended that both the car seller and the car buyer go to the DMV together to sign over the title, this to avoid the type of problem you are experiencing now.

I agree that it might be best for you to demand a refund from the seller and return the vehicle once your $700 is refunded.

Right or wrong it would seem that the seller has the upper hand.
The title is in his name, hence he is the lawful owner. The DMV will not issue you with a title in your name without the OK (duplicate title) from the seller.
Return the car and get your money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">