• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Investment Property Foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Knucklehead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I have a real estate investment property that is headed towards foreclosure. If the bank ends up taking the property, how are the recapture and capital gains (if any) handled? Will the IRS treat it as if I had sold the property at whatever selling price the banks ends up selling it for? I will probibly be filling for bankruptcy as well. How does that effect the situation?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

What the bank sells it for has no bearing on you.

The issue is the amount of the foreclosure sale. Most likely the bank will buy it then for what they have in it.

That will become your sale amount. Your capital gains/depreciation recapture will be figured on that. If there is loan forgiveness that also counts as income.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">