• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRS saying Dad didn't file last year, even though they cashed his check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? WI

My Dad got a letter from the IRS yesterday that claimed he didn't file a return last year. It also had the amount of credit he has in his account, which is the same amount he owed AND sent them a check for when he in fact paid when he filed his return last year. They're telling him that he needs to file again or he'll lose his "credit". The letter they sent was form CP80. I Googled it, but only found information saying that it's to notify people that they say didn't file.
The thing is, how can they claim that my Dad didn't file if they obviously cashed the check for what he owed--which was attached to the very return they claimed to not have gotten? Makes no sense!
So, what is my Dad to do now? Do his taxes for last year again and go through the entire process as he did last year? Is there any way around that?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? WI

My Dad got a letter from the IRS yesterday that claimed he didn't file a return last year. It also had the amount of credit he has in his account, which is the same amount he owed AND sent them a check for when he in fact paid when he filed his return last year. They're telling him that he needs to file again or he'll lose his "credit". The letter they sent was form CP80. I Googled it, but only found information saying that it's to notify people that they say didn't file.
The thing is, how can they claim that my Dad didn't file if they obviously cashed the check for what he owed--which was attached to the very return they claimed to not have gotten? Makes no sense!
So, what is my Dad to do now? Do his taxes for last year again and go through the entire process as he did last year? Is there any way around that?
Ok, clearly the IRS received your dad's payment, but for one reason or another didn't receive his tax return or if they did receive it, they lost it. Therefore, they are telling him that he has a credit with them, but they don't officially know that he owes them the money that his credit covers.

This is not a big deal. He just needs to refile the return he thought he filed originally. If he waits until near the end of January he can refile electronically. Otherwise, he would need to file a paper return, but I would not recommend that. The IRS is so behind in dealing with paper returns that it could be 8 months or more before they deal with a paper return.

Odds are it would be in your dad's favor to use a tax professional to file the replacement return...particularly if he did not do so to start with.

Ok, clearly the IRS received your dad's payment, but for one reason or another didn't receive his tax return or if they did receive it, they lost it. Therefore, they are telling him that he has a credit with them, but they don't officially know that he owes them the money that his credit covers.

This is not a big deal. He just needs to refile the return he thought he filed originally. If he waits until near the end of January he can refile electronically. Otherwise, he would need to file a paper return, but I would not recommend that. The IRS is so behind in dealing with paper returns that it could be 8 months or more before they deal with a paper return.

Odds are it would be in your dad's favor to use a tax professional to file the replacement return...particularly if he did not do so to start with.
When he filed originally and included his check, it was a paper return. He didn't use a tax professional and never has because his returns are pretty simple. Plus, the amount he paid and was credited was only $24 and change, and I'm sure a professional would cost much more than that. He's never done an electronic filing before, nor have I.
He made a copy of his return before mailing it last year. Would it be sufficient to just photocopy that and mail it, or send an image of it by email to the IRS? Neither of us are familiar with electronically filing tax returns.

davew9128

He made a copy of his return before mailing it last year. Would it be sufficient to just photocopy that and mail it, or send an image of it by email to the IRS? Neither of us are familiar with electronically filing tax returns.
No its not acceptable, and you don't ever email IRS.

No its not acceptable, and you don't ever email IRS.
How about photocopying his copies and then mailing those? They said they wanted a copy that was "newly signed", although I'm not sure how they could tell the difference since a person's signature should be the same each time anyway.

adjusterjack

How about photocopying his copies and then mailing those? They said they wanted a copy that was "newly signed", although I'm not sure how they could tell the difference since a person's signature should be the same each time anyway.
You can tell the difference between an original signature and one that's photocopiedNot. All he has to do is rewrite the signature page, sign it, add it to copies of the rest of the pages and send it in.

I don't know if you read the letter or not. If you did you would see that there are likely specific instruction on how to fix this and a phone number to call for help.

Nothing to lose any sleep over.

LdiJ

When he filed originally and included his check, it was a paper return. He didn't use a tax professional and never has because his returns are pretty simple. Plus, the amount he paid and was credited was only $24 and change, and I'm sure a professional would cost much more than that. He's never done an electronic filing before, nor have I.
I really would recommend filing it electronically. As I said, they are months and months behind in dealing with anything that they receive in the mail, and that would just exacerbate the problem. If you don't want to use a tax professional then try one of the online services.

paddywakk

You can tell the difference between an original signature and one that's photocopiedNot. All he has to do is rewrite the signature page, sign it, add it to copies of the rest of the pages and send it in.

I don't know if you read the letter or not. If you did you would see that there are likely specific instruction on how to fix this and a phone number to call for help.

Nothing to lose any sleep over.
Yeah, good luck with that number. I spent several hours a couple of mornings being transferred around and then finally disconnected before finally giving up.

adjusterjack

Yeah, good luck with that number. I spent several hours a couple of mornings being transferred around and then finally disconnected before finally giving up.
I got the same letter last month but it was for non-payment when I did pay with my return. There was a penalty. I called the number in the letter. I spent about 45 minutes including wait time, looking my records, and getting the penalty waived.

LdiJ

I got the same letter last month but it was for non-payment when I did pay with my return. There was a penalty. I called the number in the letter. I spent about 45 minutes including wait time, looking my records, and getting the penalty waived.
You lucked out. Most people can't get through at all. You must have called at just the right time...AND got someone willing to actually help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My experience, as an employer and as an individual, have been that if you can actually get through (which is a trick, I'll admit) the IRS is among the Federal agencies that are more helpful than others, YMMV

davew9128

People like Dad are the reason IRS is so far behind. 2021AD and mailing in 1040s to process on paper as a choice.

adjusterjack

Gee, I thought it was Covid that messed up the IRS for the last two years.

I file a paper tax return. A few pages, a stamp, a check, and I'm done. I have no incentive to go through the effort of efiling through an IRS partner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">