• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a law firm outside of US a scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ridefree

What is the name of your state? IL

This law firm isn't in my state. But they asked me to pay a certain fee for a legal service. Tgey say they offer their services for US citizens.

But they give free advice on their website. But now that I read some bad reviews about them on Trustpilot.

I wanted to use their services once but felt sceptical.

quincy

This law firm isn't in my state. But they asked me to pay a certain fee for a legal service. Tgey say they offer their services for US citizens.

But they give free advice on their website. But now that I read some bad reviews about them on Trustpilot.

If your gut tells you that the services being offered are not to be trusted, follow your gut. It is generally best to find legal assistance from an attorney licensed to practice in your own jurisdiction.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member

I'd be skeptical, too. Very skeptical. In the U.S. one must be a lawyer licensed in the jurisdiction(s) in which he/she provides legal services, including providing legal advice. That rule applies to anyone, even a person claiming to be lawyer who located outside of the U.S. Of course, being located outside the the U.S. means that about the only thing that the state could do about is have the state courts issue an injunction prohibiting the person from providing legal services in the U.S. The biggest problem for you though is that you have no idea how knowledgeable the people behind that website are about law in the U.S. and the law in your state in particular. The fact that, from what you posted, they are apparently committing the unauthorized practice of law in the U.S. tells me that they either don't the rules of conduct for lawyers, and thus likely don't know a whole lot about the other laws in this country or they are knowingly violating the law and they just don't care. Either way, that is a big red flag to you that relying on anything they tell you will be a significant. Also, by the way, if the person providing advice is not a licensed lawyer in the U.S. the attorney/client privilege does not protect your communications with that person from being used against you in court.

quincy

In addition to being questionable legally, if you have a complaint about, or a dispute with, any service provider who is located out-of-state or out-of-country, trying to resolve it also can become a costly exercise in futility.

There are many attorneys licensed to practice in Illinois and there are many legal aid clinics in Illinois that will offer free or low-cost legal services. I recommend you rely on those for help in handling whatever legal matter you are looking to handle.

LdiJ

I wonder if this is one of those Guam divorce deals or something similar to that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">