• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a Renters Insurance policy legal for a Homeowner to have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Yes. I see them now. Your post with the photos was not showing up when I last responded.

Your house does have several different roof lines and pitches, and a lot of wires and the antenna which need to be worked around, which would make roofing it more difficult than some. One of the many joys of owning older houses. :)

I guess you will have to wait to see what the contractors say. I hope one of them is up for the challenge.

quincy

By the way, your current roof does not look bad to me at all. I have seen roofs in far worse condition and there was not an issue with insurance. Insurance companies sure seem to be making it harder and/or more expensive for homeowners to get decent coverage lately.

By the way, your current roof does not look bad to me at all. I have seen roofs in far worse condition and there was not an issue with insurance. Insurance companies sure seem to be making it harder and/or more expensive for homeowners to get decent coverage lately.
Well, these pics are older so they don't show the roof condition as it is now. I just posted these because they show the house and what the roof is like as far as angles and such.

Did you try to get a roof certification from an inspector?
No. I didn't know that was something that could be done. But I did have an inspector look at it before I bought the house and it turned out he didn't know what he was talking about when he said it looked as if it had another 15 or so years of life left on it. It started leaking after 2 years, and I ended up having to replace it soon after.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No. I didn't know that was something that could be done. But I did have an inspector look at it before I bought the house and it turned out he didn't know what he was talking about when he said it looked as if it had another 15 or so years of life left on it. It started leaking after 2 years, and I ended up having to replace it soon after.
A roof inspector or a home inspector?

quincy

As a note, I noticed that you don’t have any gutters or downspouts on your house and that, in some areas where one of the roofs meets house siding, there are gaps. These can lead to problems with rain water finding its way inside, even when the shingles themselves are okay.

A roof inspector or a home inspector?
It was a home inspector. I figured they'd have a good knowledge of all parts of the home. I'm not sure what type of inspector the insurance underwriter sent to my home, but they seemed to know roofs even from a distance. The home inspector I hired actually went up onto the roof.

As a note, I noticed that you don’t have any gutters or downspouts on your house and that, in some areas where one of the roofs meets house siding, there are gaps. These can lead to problems with rain water finding its way inside, even when the shingles themselves are okay.
I actually mentioned the idea of gutters to the roofer who did the job 21 years ago, and he said "I don't believe in gutters". The only thing he did was install a rain diverter over the front porch. But I've always had a gutter on the south side of the garage. That's the only one I have. The south side of the house is concrete on the ground between the neighboring houses. I don't believe my neighbor has gutters either.
As for those gaps you mention, I think what happened was that the siding was put on after there were previously 3 layers of shingles. When those were removed and replaced with 1 new layer, there was a gap left. So far though, I haven't seen any sign of leaking going on.

With only 3 days of insurance left, I've decided to try getting the insurance plan through the state. However, I may not even qualify for that. After an outside agent quoted my an amount for it and said I'm eligible, my own agent finally replied to my requests and informed me that I am NOT eligible, even though the program claims to be exactly for my type of situation. I asked the other agent about the contradiction, and offered up the cancellation notice I have, and he said that there's no way to know for sure unless an application is filed, and I would have to include my cancellation notice with it. If it disqualifies me, then I'm done.

On the bright side, I have an appointment at my home with a roofing contractor at 4pm to get a quote. Let's see if he shows up.

I actually mentioned the idea of gutters to the roofer who did the job 21 years ago, and he said "I don't believe in gutters". The only thing he did was install a rain diverter over the front porch. But I've always had a gutter on the south side of the garage. That's the only one I have. The south side of the house is concrete on the ground between the neighboring houses. I don't believe my neighbor has gutters either.
As for those gaps you mention, I think what happened was that the siding was put on after there were previously 3 layers of shingles. When those were removed and replaced with 1 new layer, there was a gap left. So far though, I haven't seen any sign of leaking going on.

With only 3 days of insurance left, I've decided to try getting the insurance plan through the state. However, I may not even qualify for that. After an outside agent quoted my an amount for it and said I'm eligible, my own agent finally replied to my requests and informed me that I am NOT eligible, even though the program claims to be exactly for my type of situation. I asked the other agent about the contradiction, and offered up the cancellation notice I have, and he said that there's no way to know for sure unless an application is filed, and I would have to include my cancellation notice with it. If it disqualifies me, then I'm done.

On the bright side, I have an appointment at my home with a roofing contractor at 4pm to get a quote. Let's see if he shows up.
Update: He showed up and we talked for about an hour. He said he'd send me a quote, but never did.
Two more appointments for tomorrow.
Oh, and in a few minutes, I'll be going to an insurance agent to sign up for the Wisconsin Insurance Plan. They changed the quote on me now for the 3rd time. First I was told I was eligible and it would be $976 for full coverage. Then I was told it was $1355 and I'm NOT eligible. Now they're saying it's for fire only, I'm eligible, and it's $238. I better take it before it changes again--and hope it's a valid policy.

Update: He showed up and we talked for about an hour. He said he'd send me a quote, but never did.
Two more appointments for tomorrow.
Oh, and in a few minutes, I'll be going to an insurance agent to sign up for the Wisconsin Insurance Plan. They changed the quote on me now for the 3rd time. First I was told I was eligible and it would be $976 for full coverage. Then I was told it was $1355 and I'm NOT eligible. Now they're saying it's for fire only, I'm eligible, and it's $238. I better take it before it changes again--and hope it's a valid policy.
Still no results. Of the 2 appointments on Friday, the first cancelled and didn't reschedule, and the second one came and talked to me for about a half hour and said they'd send me the quote by email. It's Sunday now and I never got it. But they told me verbally that it would be about $21,500. Just for a roof replacement.
I sent an email reminder to the first contractor saying I'm still interested in getting his quote. Still no response after a week. So far, I have no quotes from any contractor.

Still no results. Of the 2 appointments on Friday, the first cancelled and didn't reschedule, and the second one came and talked to me for about a half hour and said they'd send me the quote by email. It's Sunday now and I never got it. But they told me verbally that it would be about $21,500. Just for a roof replacement.
I sent an email reminder to the first contractor saying I'm still interested in getting his quote. Still no response after a week. So far, I have no quotes from any contractor.

Okay. The cost of replacing the roof is higher than you were expecting. Depending on many factors, the $21,500 number may be reasonable. You indicated that you have 3 layers of shingles, so you will need a tear-off. The roof decking may need to be removed and replaced, repairs other damages to your roof's structure.

The good news is that you have excellent credit and you own your house free and clear. Even if you have to take a less desirable loan to have the roof replaced, you may be able to refinance it into a HELOC once you can obtain insurance on your home again.

Okay. The cost of replacing the roof is higher than you were expecting. Depending on many factors, the $21,500 number may be reasonable. You indicated that you have 3 layers of shingles, so you will need a tear-off. The roof decking may need to be removed and replaced, repairs other damages to your roof's structure.

The good news is that you have excellent credit and you own your house free and clear. Even if you have to take a less desirable loan to have the roof replaced, you may be able to refinance it into a HELOC once you can obtain insurance on your home again.
I don't have 3 layers of shingles. That's what I had when the job was done 21 years ago. There's only 1 now.
Since I never got the quote on the roofing cost, I don't know what it will be, or if the contractor would even do it. I'm just going by what she showed me on her tablet computer but wouldn't even utter the words herself. I have no official quote from any contractor, either on paper or in digital form.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">