• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is bankruptcy my only option?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Digger Girl

What is the name of your state? Colorado
It's a long story, but the situation is this:
I am a 32 yr old with excellent credit, except for 3 credit cards that my father has been using in my name since I was 18. He had declared bankruptcy back then and couldn't get his own cards. I trusted him, and he was receiving all the statements and making the payments. I didn't even know the balances (pretty stupid, huh?). He has been late about 4 times over the years, which are negative marks against me. He also has been increasing the debt rather than getting it paid off. He now owes about $23,000 in my name. He just lost his job (after declaring bankruptcy a second time) and cannot make the high payments. I am getting by on my own, but trying to buy a house and I certainly cannot take on his debt. Is there any way now to transfer the debt into his name? I doubt it. Are my only other options debt consolidation or bankruptcy?

Ladynred

He's been accruing this debt in YOUR name. Unfortunately there's no way you're going to get that 'transferred' into HIS name. As far as creditors are concerned, its your debt ! Unless you want to file a fraud and ID theft complaint, you're stuck with it.

VeronicaGia

Your first step is to completely close the accounts. It is the only way to stop him from using them again to rack up more debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">