• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is early termination fee enforcable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jvogel

What is the name of your state? California
I agreed in writing to a $3,000 early termination fee on a 1 year lease. My rent is $1,000 a month. A friend says this penalty is unenforcable because the landlord is only entitled to a reasonable vacancy period and must use due diligence to find a new tenant within about a month after I leave. Is he right?

south

Is your friend a lawyer? Or just throwing in her tuppence worth over a coffee morning?

jvogel said:
What is the name of your state? California
I agreed in writing to a $3,000 early termination fee on a 1 year lease. My rent is $1,000 a month. A friend says this penalty is unenforcable because the landlord is only entitled to a reasonable vacancy period and must use due diligence to find a new tenant within about a month after I leave. Is he right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">