• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is incorrect info on my ticket grounds for dismissal???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfallstead

I am in California and I got a speeding ticket. The officer wrote down that I was driving a 2005 Toyota Celica when in fact it is actually a 2002. Does anyone know if this is grounds for dismissal? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any help.

Two Bit

I'm going to go out on a limb and say, hell no.

The important thing on the ticket is that it says that you the person, not the vehilce violated the law, and it informs you of those charges.

JETX

dfallstead said:
Does anyone know if this is grounds for dismissal?
Yes. I know.
And no, it is NOT an essential requirement. Police officers are not required to be car experts.

JETX said:
Yes. I know.
And no, it is NOT an essential requirement. Police officers are not required to be car experts.
Police are "required" to know that the driver they witnessed violating a law is the driver who got the citation. If the fellow saw one car going too fast, and stopped another, he can not live up to that requirement. In the real world, however, it makes little difference. defallstead offered no testimony to the effect that the cop got the wrong person AND the wrong car. It has happened, you know.

CdwJava

The wrong model year is NOT going to make a difference. It often happens. If the license plate and other info is correct, then it is not going to be an issue at all.

- Carl

CdwJava

poppakeith said:
Police are "required" to know that the driver they witnessed violating a law is the driver who got the citation. If the fellow saw one car going too fast, and stopped another, he can not live up to that requirement. In the real world, however, it makes little difference. defallstead offered no testimony to the effect that the cop got the wrong person AND the wrong car. It has happened, you know.
But that is not what is alleged to have happened here. The officer apparently wrote down the wrong model year for whatever reason (perhaps that was the year the driver told them it was ...). It won't make a difference.

- Carl

Two Bit

Since we don't get insurance cards from driver's anymore, and Georgia drivers don't have to carry registration, I never even bother writing in the year model.

Not that I write that many tickets. I wrote my first ticket of the year last week.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">