• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal to post a fake obituary of yourself?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alexa756

My daughter submitted a fake obituary of herself to an online newspaper as an elaborate prank with her friends, I have read articles of authorities getting involved and people being arrested for similar cases, I was wondering if I need to be worried or contact someone to resolve this before authorities could possibly be notified?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My daughter submitted a fake obituary of herself to an online newspaper as an elaborate prank with her friends, I have read articles of authorities getting involved and people being arrested for similar cases, I was wondering if I need to be worried or contact someone to resolve this before authorities could possibly be notified?
I'm sorry, but this forum is for US law matters only.
How old is your daughter?

Alexa756

Sorry but I thought this would be considered US law if what she did was illegal. She is 18, in Missouri US

Zigner

Sorry but I thought this would be considered US law if what she did was illegal. She is 18, in Missouri US
You didn't tell us the name of your US state - but thanks for clarifying that.

This is really a matter for her to deal with. Time for her to grow up.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If she did it with a purpose to commit fraud (e.g. cash in on life insurance, avoid creditors, etc) or to avoid arrest then she may face criminal prosecution for this “prank.”

She may also find that future employers, etc., will not see it as amusing and that might cost her opportunities.

quincy

I assume the newspaper caught it before publication, right? Obituaries are generally submitted to newspapers by funeral homes after the relatives fill out forms.

Fake obituaries do on occasion get printed, however. The one submitting the fake obituary can be charged with various and assorted crimes (e.g, disorderly conduct) and, if the obituary makes it to print, the "recently deceased" can file a civil claim for any damages suffered as a result of the publication.

WHY did your daughter decide to submit a fake obituary? One man published that his mother died so he could get paid time off from work.

Zigner

In this case, the daughter submitted an obituary saying that she (the daughter) had passed away.

quincy

In this case, the daughter submitted an obituary saying that she (the daughter) had passed away.
Thanks, Zigner.

Most obituaries are run by newspapers (online and traditional) as paid notices. The obituaries are perhaps the best checked of anything that makes it to print because obituaries are more carefully read than other sections.

Most papers rely on mortuary forms.

Alexa756

Why exactly she did it I am not sure, it was not for getting paid time off from work as she doesn't work, it was a sort of Halloween joke with her friends. Yes I agree it was wrong of her to do it but I just want to make sure the authorities don't show up to get her in trouble for creating a false document or something like that. To my knowledge it hasn't been published in the paper, but just to one of those obituary websites that gets shared online

quincy

Why exactly she did it I am not sure, it was not for getting paid time off from work as she doesn't work, it was a sort of Halloween joke with her friends. Yes I agree it was wrong of her to do it but I just want to make sure the authorities don't show up to get her in trouble for creating a false document or something like that. To my knowledge it hasn't been published in the paper, but just to one of those obituary websites that gets shared online
If your daughter is the only "victim" of her prank, and she did it strictly for grins and giggles (i.e., there was no nefarious purpose), it is not likely that the police will track her down to charge her with a crime.

They could, I suppose, but it seems unlikely based on what you have said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">