• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it kidnapping to hide a persons keys and wallet to prevent them from leaving the h

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This question has been asked on at least two other forums besides this one. The OP has gotten a great deal of information over the three about what kinds of legal recourse the individual whose keys, wallet, shoes etc. have been hidden may have.

However, it is NOT kidnapping. And repeatedly asking the same question is not going to transform it into kidnapping.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You mentioned the removal of shoes to assist in detaining somebody. I don’t see it as much of a hinderance so took it as being in jest. Given it isn’t winter yet I don’t see denying a person their shoes as doing much in the line of detaining them

It is a common practice in jails and prisons though.
I can't speak for elsewhere, but around here it's common to take a prisoner's shoes or at least shoe laces. It certainly is not done to deter escape - I really never thought of that and it's a bit ridiculous when I do think about it.

Shoes can hide all kinds of things and they are generally removed when placing a person in a holding cell. Sometimes they are returned after being thoroughly searched.

Shoe laces can be used by the prisoner to harm themselves. Even if the prisoner keeps their shoes we take and hold their laces and belt for the duration of their detention with us.

justalayman

I can't speak for elsewhere, but around here it's common to take a prisoner's shoes or at least shoe laces. It certainly is not done to deter escape - I really never thought of that and it's a bit ridiculous when I do think about it.

Shoes can hide all kinds of things and they are generally removed when placing a person in a holding cell. Sometimes they are returned after being thoroughly searched.

Shoe laces can be used by the prisoner to harm themselves. Even if the prisoner keeps their shoes we take and hold their laces and belt for the duration of their detention with us.
Yes, prisoners shoes like in jail, holding facility, and prison. That’s what I had said. I agree 100% with your take and reasoning on why they are seized in such situations. I too am a bit puzzled as to how that prevents a kidnapped person from leaving, at least unless you’re in snow country and there is snow outside. Then I can see where it would likely prevent a person from leaving, at least if there is not truly a threat or violence. If there is a real fear of violence, most peoples inner flee instinct will kick in and they will leave, shoes or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">