• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for CPS to speak with my therapist without my consent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NewMom2017

Hello I live in MA.

After being investigated and having a bogus claim unsupported, CPS then contacted my therapist without my knowledge or my consent for an entirely separate concern.

The social worker asked if I had any history of mental illness (as part of the general questioning, this had nothing to do with the original investigation) and I told her my history of depression, but that I felt it had been cured for at least a year. I told her the name of my therapist and where his office was. At no point did I give her his number or even verbally say she could speak with him.
I never signed any form that said they could speak with my therapist.

I feel like this is a violation of my rights.
The original claim was unsupported and my child was and is in no immediate danger.
Does CPS automatically have the right to discuss my mental health with my therapist without consent?

Advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Mass_Shyster

DCF can certainly ask any questions they wish of anyone.

If your therapist answered questions about you, or disclosed any information, he or she has placed his or her license at risk.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Hello I live in MA.

After being investigated and having a bogus claim unsupported, CPS then contacted my therapist without my knowledge or my consent for an entirely separate concern.

The social worker asked if I had any history of mental illness (as part of the general questioning, this had nothing to do with the original investigation) and I told her my history of depression, but that I felt it had been cured for at least a year. I told her the name of my therapist and where his office was. At no point did I give her his number or even verbally say she could speak with him.
I never signed any form that said they could speak with my therapist.

I feel like this is a violation of my rights.
The original claim was unsupported and my child was and is in no immediate danger.
Does CPS automatically have the right to discuss my mental health with my therapist without consent?

Advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Was this court-ordered therapy?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is legal for CPS to ask questions of your therapist.

It is illegal of your therapist to answer them without your written and signed agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">