• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to ask for an ID when paying with a credit card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerlsa

What is the name of your state? Ma

Hello, I was under the impression that a service person couldn't ask you for an ID when you went to pay with a credit card say at CVS or any store??? Well, I am a manager/bartender at a Pub. My owner told me last night that a few credit cards have come back because the person didn't sign them and they said it was not them who ate and drank at our establishment. OK, I understand they didn't sign the slip, even though it had been ran through our machine. He says he is out the money but I believe it was because they didn't sign the slip. If it was signed then the customer would have to deal with the bank, I think.

Now he is telling me that when a person asks for the check and hands me a credit card, other than the usual process of checking signatures, he says we have to ask for an ID also. Is this a legal procedure? I think not but I may be wrong. I think people may be offended and I know that nobody ever asks me for my ID when I pay with a credit card. What do you guys know about this?

Thanks in advance**************.didn't know where to begin to find this answer other than calling a credit card company itself.

seniorjudge

formerlsa said:
What is the name of your state? Ma

Hello, I was under the impression that a service person couldn't ask you for an ID when you went to pay with a credit card say at CVS or any store??? Well, I am a manager/bartender at a Pub. My owner told me last night that a few credit cards have come back because the person didn't sign them and they said it was not them who ate and drank at our establishment. OK, I understand they didn't sign the slip, even though it had been ran through our machine. He says he is out the money but I believe it was because they didn't sign the slip. If it was signed then the customer would have to deal with the bank, I think.

Now he is telling me that when a person asks for the check and hands me a credit card, other than the usual process of checking signatures, he says we have to ask for an ID also. Is this a legal procedure? I think not but I may be wrong. I think people may be offended and I know that nobody ever asks me for my ID when I pay with a credit card. What do you guys know about this?

Thanks in advance**************.didn't know where to begin to find this answer other than calling a credit card company itself.

Q: Now he is telling me that when a person asks for the check and hands me a credit card, other than the usual process of checking signatures, he says we have to ask for an ID also. Is this a legal procedure?

A: Anyone who does NOT ask for an ID when taking a credit card should be fired immediately.

formerlsa

Hi, I have only been asked once in my life for an ID when I used my credit card! Also what about when you drive through to get gas? Nobody asks for an ID. I beieve it is a good thing but I think you are wrong aboout this,I have been a manager for over 15 years and no company has ever told me this and made it a mandatory process. Anyone else know?

Hey go run your credit card through CVS and let me know if they ask you for your drivers license?LOL

HomeGuru

formerlsa said:
Hi, I have only been asked once in my life for an ID when I used my credit card! Also what about when you drive through to get gas? Nobody asks for an ID. I beieve it is a good thing but I think you are wrong aboout this,I have been a manager for over 15 years and no company has ever told me this and made it a mandatory process. Anyone else know?

Hey go run your credit card through CVS and let me know if they ask you for your drivers license?LOL

**A: it is a policy that the business establishment chooses to follow.
You are getting stupid.

formerlsa

Hi again, Matter of fact I was in Cvs the other day when a customer ran his CC. The service person gave him his items and his receipt and the guy said "don't I have to sign it because it was credit not my debit", and the lady said "we have a new procedure that we only make you sign it if it is over $20". So, what do you think about that?

Also, I have been in this business for years. The only thing we were supposed to do is match up the signatures. That has been house policy for many companies along my path of employment even Amtrak for 15 years. I think that if this is true it is a great policy but I have never seen it and I would still like to know if it is legal.

Thanks

S

shell007

formerlsa said:

I just went to CVS the other day to get a RX for my daughter. My CVS actually put tape over the machines that you run your card through, so... I had to give my debit card to the cashier to swipe the card for me.

I did ask why as I thought maybe all their machines were broken, but instead I was told that due to identity theft running so rampant these days...CVS wants to now see the credit card and an ID to make sure the person using the card is in fact the owner/authorized user of that card!

Makes sense to me!!!

Last edited:

justalayman

I believe a similar situation was debated not too long ago on this forum.
I think the end consensus was that it was not illegal but the CC companies themselves had rules regarding this and needed to be followed.

HomeGuru

formerlsa said:
Hi again, Matter of fact I was in Cvs the other day when a customer ran his CC. The service person gave him his items and his receipt and the guy said "don't I have to sign it because it was credit not my debit", and the lady said "we have a new procedure that we only make you sign it if it is over $20". So, what do you think about that?

Also, I have been in this business for years. The only thing we were supposed to do is match up the signatures. That has been house policy for many companies along my path of employment even Amtrak for 15 years. I think that if this is true it is a great policy but I have never seen it and I would still like to know if it is legal.

Thanks

**A: yes it is legal. It is also legal for the establishment to say " No ID, no using the credit card"

formerlsa

Boy, then we would have a problem because they rang up a $150 bill of lobsters and drinks and they have no money on them. I guess we could send them out back to wash the dishes. LOL

Look, I was just asking a legal question, I am not stupid and I should not be fired for asking a question, I like to know the legalities of things since my place doesn't do things on the up and up. I am not responsible for the payroll**************.or hiring**************.... I deal with customer issues and also service a place by myself with 200 patrons......I just wanted to know the truth because like I said it has been one time in my life I have been asked for an ID when I paid with a credit card that is all. But anyhow, I really didn't come here to be called stupid or told I needed to be fired. You guys have helped me out with legal questions before and I didn't think this one could be turned into a personal attack but I guess I was wrong. No hard feelings though, I'm tough!!

S

shell007

Better to be safe than sorry!!!
I guess I still don't understand what harm is being done or what you are afraid of by doing what the owner of the establishment asks you to do! :confused:

formerlsa

Hi, I am not afraid at all to ask a person for their ID since that is my job, I do it all the time since bartenders are civil and criminal libel for anything that may happen when a person leaves your establishment and they have 3 years to come back on you! Good thing I have a Homestead, because I am not a babysitter, but this is a serious problem and it is rampant everywhere! I have cops that are regulars and they see it and we have talked about it but what do you do, put every drunk in jail? Well, that is another story.

Anyhow, I shut off people all the time, I am alone. a woman, with money in an establishmnet at night, so by no means am I afraid.Across the city last year someone came in and shot one of the people for the money so I am aware, I lock the doors and watch my back. For years I had thousands of dollars in my pocket hailing down a cab in the middle of DC at 300 AM by myself and it never scared me, even when I was taken for a long ride by a foreign cabbie. I REALLY was under the impression it was against the law. But you guys have told me it isn't so now I know the truth.Thank you

seniorjudge

formerlsa said:
Hi, I am not afraid at all to ask a person for their ID since that is my job, I do it all the time since bartenders are civil and criminal libel for anything that may happen when a person leaves your establishment and they have 3 years to come back on you! Good thing I have a Homestead, because I am not a babysitter, but this is a serious problem and it is rampant everywhere! I have cops that are regulars and they see it and we have talked about it but what do you do, put every drunk in jail? Well, that is another story.

Anyhow, I shut off people all the time, I am alone. a woman, with money in an establishmnet at night, so by no means am I afraid.Across the city last year someone came in and shot one of the people for the money so I am aware, I lock the doors and watch my back. For years I had thousands of dollars in my pocket hailing down a cab in the middle of DC at 300 AM by myself and it never scared me, even when I was taken for a long ride by a foreign cabbie. I REALLY was under the impression it was against the law. But you guys have told me it isn't so now I know the truth.Thank you

Foreign cabbies?

Hell, it's those jerks in Congress who are stealing from you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">