• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to ask for an ID when paying with a credit card?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burned

First, I strongly agree with presenting id when using a CC, I have encountered far too many lately who have been hit by identity theft. However, I would be cautious if handing my DL & CC (Debit) to a server who walked away from the table or line of site.

A friend took his kids out to dinner before leaving the US on business for a month. He handed the server his DL along with the CC (Debit) to pay which the server took away to generate the slip to sign.

In Europe paying his hotel bill the card was denied due to insufficient funds. He logged on an saw a steady stream of online purchases from his debit card, his checking account with overdraft protection virtually drained.

Online purchases were made and delivered to his home address, likely obtained from the DL. The security code on the back of the CC/Debit was readily available when he handed the card over and he remembered saying he was taking his kids out (divorced) for the night before leaving on business. Items were either picked up or gone back for after signature releases signed when left. (The only link he could determine was the restaurant, but no criminal charges were ever brought.)

BTW, some gas pumps now prompt you for your zip code when using a Credit/Debit Card.

The only issue I have is the visibility of the 3 or 4 digit security code on the back of the card if handed over. It's used so often on e-commerce sites to verify it's your card.

Who's Liable?

wow.... pretty much 95% of the places I go to here, demand a DL with your CC... If you refuse to hand it over, they refuse to accept the card...

I went to the Post Office, and they even refused to take a CC that was NOT signed...They would not allow me to sign it right there either...

formerlsa

Hi, Wow, you are so right. My friend is a server in the Keys. She says she has worked with some unscrupulous co-workers. They know that you are on vacation. They will take your credit or debit and just like you said the security code is on the back of your debit card, therefore, anyone can order anything online etc. AND, they steal your number**************

Personally, I don't use my debit cards anywhere except my local grocery store. I usually always pay cash for gas too. When it comes to online purchases, I am leary of them too, even if it is a secured site because of hackers. Geez, what is this World coming to?

From now on I will be asking everyone for an ID when using a credit card. A few weeks ago I sent my XXXXX husband to buy sneakers for the kids with MY credit card. Wasn't sure if it would work. No one asked him for anything and he signed my name. He certainly doesn't look like a woman and he isn't an authorized user.

So, after all this I believe it is also up to us, not just the consumer, but the service people to really be aware and be extra careful because fraud is getting rampant! Thanks for all your replies!!

HomeGuru

formerlsa said:
Hi, Wow, you are so right. My friend is a server in the Keys. She says she has worked with some unscrupulous co-workers. They know that you are on vacation. They will take your credit or debit and just like you said the security code is on the back of your debit card, therefore, anyone can order anything online etc. AND, they steal your number**************

Personally, I don't use my debit cards anywhere except my local grocery store. I usually always pay cash for gas too. When it comes to online purchases, I am leary of them too, even if it is a secured site because of hackers. Geez, what is this World coming to?

From now on I will be asking everyone for an ID when using a credit card. A few weeks ago I sent my XXXXX husband to buy sneakers for the kids with MY credit card. Wasn't sure if it would work. No one asked him for anything and he signed my name. He certainly doesn't look like a woman and he isn't an authorized user.

So, after all this I believe it is also up to us, not just the consumer, but the service people to really be aware and be extra careful because fraud is getting rampant! Thanks for all your replies!!

**A: finally****************************......

Actually, it is against the member agreement between the CC company and the merchant to require ID on a signed card. If they deny your purchase you can report the merchant to a special number and they could potentially lose their contract with the CC company. I will never show my ID when using a signed card and have walked out of stores that refuse to ring up my purchase. I am not handing my DL, with all my personal info, to a minimum wage clerk that is likely to be a thief. This topic has been debated thoroughly on www.creditboards.com--a forum that has a wealth of info on a variety of financial topics, including mortgages, bankruptcy and auto lending.

Who's Liable?

Jeeplady66 said:
I will never show my ID when using a signed card and have walked out of stores that refuse to ring up my purchase. I am not handing my DL, with all my personal info, to a minimum wage clerk that is likely to be a thief. This topic has been debated thoroughly on www.creditboards.com--a forum that has a wealth of info on a variety of financial topics, including mortgages, bankruptcy and auto lending.
You are most free to leave the store and not purchase anything... After all it is your card and your best interest is at hand... but they are free to require you to hand over the ID card... tata...

They cannot establish a policy of asking for personal information; however, they are permitted to ask for an ID in instance where they doubt the cardholder's identity. At least that is according to section 2.06 of this merchant agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">