• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to not accept mail for non-tenants?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikehende

Hey guys, we live in NY. We have had issues in the past with police coming here looking for someone who never lived here who gave this address. Also we had one tenant having their friends or relatives hospital bills coming here, is it legal for landlords to return mail coming to tenants for anyone not living here and not named on the lease please?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hey guys, we live in NY. We have had issues in the past with police coming here looking for someone who never lived here who gave this address.
Ok. Tell them the person doesn't live there.

Also we had one tenant having their friends or relatives hospital bills coming here
Write on the outside: "Return to sender - not at this address".

is it legal for landlords to return mail coming to tenants for anyone not living here and not named on the lease please?
If the person doesn't live there and is not associated with the property, then do as stated above. Why would the landlord be involved?

quincy

Hey guys, we live in NY. We have had issues in the past with police coming here looking for someone who never lived here who gave this address. Also we had one tenant having their friends or relatives hospital bills coming here, is it legal for landlords to return mail coming to tenants for anyone not living here and not named on the lease please?
Yes, it's legal for a landlord to return to sender mail delivered to a non tenant.

If someone other than a tenant starts using a rental address as their residence address, and starts receiving mail at the rental, the landlord might wind up having to evict this person from the rental if the person moves in without a lease. The person has established residence.

LdiJ

thanks but is it "legal" for a landlord to refuse mail coming to the tenant?
How is it that you have any access to the tenant's mail? You should not have any access to their mail. It should be up to them to return anything that isn't for them.

PayrollHRGuy

You didn't ask about tenants you asked about non-tenants. If Bob Smith rents from you and lives in apartment A, Bob needs to get his mail. If Joe Johnson who doesn't rent with you gets mail for Apartment A you can legally return it as Zigner has written.

LdiJ

You didn't ask about tenants you asked about non-tenants. If Bob Smith rents from you and lives in apartment A, Bob needs to get his mail. If Joe Johnson who doesn't rent with you gets mail for Apartment A you can legally return it as Zigner has written.
However, the landlord should NOT have access to the mail for apartment A. Or if he does, he shouldn't be exercising that access in a non-emergency situation.

Just Blue

thanks but is it "legal" for a landlord to refuse mail coming to the tenant?

If tenant name is Jane Smith and mail is addressed to Jon Doe c/o Jane Smith, you give the mail to Jane.
Why are you fussing over tenants mail anyway? Is this a rooming house or roommate situation?

mikehende

Oh sorry, I guess the question I should have asked is if it's legal for a tenant to receive mail for anyone who doesn;t live in the apartment and whose name is not on the lease?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Oh sorry, I guess the question I should have asked is if it's legal for a tenant to receive mail for anyone who doesn;t live in the apartment and whose name is not on the lease?
Yes, that is "legal" - but why don't you tell us your situation instead of trying to figure out the right question to ask...?

Just Blue

Of course it is...

You need to google the LL/Tenant laws for your state and read them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">