• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal to resell samples? (makeup)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BakedBeans

What is the name of your state? New York
I have samples that are in respectable due date that I don't need/use. Mostly I got them as free rewards/points I accumulated on a makeup website. Some of them I used, some of them are not my type, so I hope to get rid of them. Most of them are in small plastic bags, but some of them are in mini-size product in glass bottles, etc. Is it legal to resell them to other ppl on online?

quincy

What is the name of your state? New York
I have samples that are in respectable due date that I don't need/use. Mostly I got them as free rewards/points I accumulated on a makeup website. Some of them I used, some of them are not my type, so I hope to get rid of them. Most of them are in small plastic bags, but some of them are in mini-size product in glass bottles, etc. Is it legal to resell them to other ppl on online?
Yes, you are able to resell the makeup. Why anyone would buy used makeup packaged in plastic bags is beyond me, though.

adjusterjack

If they've been opened/used, toss them. I doubt if anybody will buy them that way unless you sell for pennies on the dollar.

If they are still factory sealed, you can sell them.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have never EVER gotten a sample of make-up, skin care or perfume that wasn't marked "Not for Resale". Jus' sayin'. bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
That statement does not prohibit a consumer from selling the sample. Typically it is to alert retailers that the samples are not labeled properly for sale.

quincy

I have never EVER gotten a sample of make-up, skin care or perfume that wasn't marked "Not for Resale". Jus' sayin'. bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
The First Sale Doctrine allows for the consumer resale of legal products legally acquired.

quincy

Just double checking, but when you say legal, is it includig samples I got for free and as a reward (accmulated points)?
Sure. If someone wants to buy what you have to sell, you can sell it to someone.

This, as a note, is if you are as a consumer selling legal makeup (e.g., not counterfeit) legally acquired (whether given to you or purchased by you).

There can be exceptions to the sales of certain products (e,g., drugs) and to the sales of certain products by retailers (e.g., some packaged products cannot have the packages opened and the contents sold separately). Some sales can be restricted by manufacturer and distributor and vendor contracts.

So there are exceptions, I am not seeing an exception in your described sales.

FlyingRon

The FDA regulates sales of cosmetics. If these packages have been used, I doubt it's legal. There's a few companies that are dealing in "recycled" cosmetics but they allegedly have their own validation processes that meet the requirements.

PayrollHRGuy

I've I'm not mistaken one of the other reasons such sampled are marked as "not for resale" is they may not have the required labeling. If this effects first sale doctrine, I don't know.

quincy

I see nothing in what has been described that would make it illegal for a consumer to resell the makeup. I only see potential problems for those purchasing the makeup (health concerns).

FlyingRon

If it was introduced into interstate commerce, it is in violation of the 21 USC 331. The FDA has a pretty broad definition of what constitutes interstate commerce. Internet sales almost certainly would qualify. Unless you can show that the used cosmetic was free of adulterations and other violations of the statute, you could be held liable.

quincy

If it was introduced into interstate commerce, it is in violation of the 21 USC 331. The FDA has a pretty broad definition of what constitutes interstate commerce. Internet sales almost certainly would qualify. Unless you can show that the used cosmetic was free of adulterations and other violations of the statute, you could be held liable.
I think you are incorrect on this, FlyingRon. BakedBeans is not manufacturing makeup. S/he is reselling legally acquired products manufactured by someone else.

Of course, nothing can prevent someone from suing anyway. But if no false claims are made as to the origin (or condition) of the product sold, the one suing is unlikely to be successful.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">