• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it my responsibilty to keep giving the tenant new locks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pross001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have a tenant who is continuously drunk and he loses his keys, so he always wants me to cut off his door lock, and then he wants me buy him, and install, new locks for him. Is it required for me to do this?

FarmerJ

If you do then charge him a reasonable rate for it or install a keypad lock so even if he loses keys he can still let him self in. And charge him for it.

Pross001

If you do then charge him a reasonable rate for it or install a keypad lock so even if he loses keys he can still let him self in. And charge him for it.

This sounds like good advice.

However, I'm thinking in terms on what are my legal requirements?

Gail in Georgia

Suggest to your tenant four options:

1. You make another key for him (you don't have extra keys to your own property?) and charge him for the cost of this. Cost should be minimal.

2. He contacts a locksmith to see if they can make another key for him (on his dime).

3. You replace the locks after he pays you for the cost of doing so.

4. He consider a substance abuse program to deal with his alcohol issue.

Gail

STEPHAN

I would not be comfortable with potentially lots of people having key for my rental.

Also, in my experience, people that are addicted sooner or later start losing total control of their life.

Maybe you should advise him to use a rehab or consider getting a different tenant as long as you can.

FarmerJ

Ok now that im more awake, I dont see a legal obligation to keep replacing the lock and the LL being obligated to be the one to do the break in but the deal is this, if the tenant began to leave the unit unlocked the risk to the LL becomes that anyone who decides to rip off the tenant may spread the word of a unlocked unit and do a forced take over to cook & sell drugs, turn tricks, plain old trash the rental then the LL is out even more in damages so the best bet may be button pad lock where the LL will still issue a key to the tenant but should the tenant lose it the lock could be programed to tenant year of birth , tenants moms last four of phone, any number of things that the tenant should remember so if the tenant called up` hey mishterr lanlord while I wash owwt I losht my key` LL can remind him` push in 4978 your birthday and it will open` still a hassle for the LL but no need to show up, no changing the lock again, lower risk of say windows being used by tenant to climb in, reduced risk of tenant choosing to just leave it unlocked, etc and yes the LL can make the tenant pay for this if the lock has already been changed and tenant loses key again. ( and yes at some point LL should decide if they really want to continue to rent to this tenant)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">