• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it warrantee or guarantee?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Bob777

My son has a computer networking business.

His network designs work quite well and he wants to advertise that he will "guarantee" (or is it "warrantee"?) that his network designs will work as he promises. His competitors don't have guarantees that I know of, so this will be a good selling point for him.

The question is:

Do we say that he will "guarantee" or "warrantee" that his network designs will work as promised? I know they are closely related. One book I saw said a warrantee is a guarantee. This is confusing.

He wants to promise (whether its called guarantee or warrantee)that his network design will work as he says. We just don't know whether to call it a warrantee or guarantee.

I know most products usually have "warrantees" on them. (I don't know why they aren't called guarrantees). But my son is trying to "guarrantee" or "warrantee" his design services (as opposed to warranteeing a product).

And if for some reason the network doesn't work as promised, he will redesign it and install any necessary hardware and software for free. Thats how confident he is that he will do a good job the first time. Some of his competitors don't.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bob777 said:
My son has a computer networking business.

His network designs work quite well and he wants to advertise that he will "guarantee" (or is it "warrantee"?) that his network designs will work as he promises. His competitors don't have guarantees that I know of, so this will be a good selling point for him.

The question is:

Do we say that he will "guarantee" or "warrantee" that his network designs will work as promised? I know they are closely related. One book I saw said a warrantee is a guarantee. This is confusing.

He wants to promise (whether its called guarantee or warrantee)that his network design will work as he says. We just don't know whether to call it a warrantee or guarantee.

I know most products usually have "warrantees" on them. (I don't know why they aren't called guarrantees). But my son is trying to "guarrantee" or "warrantee" his design services (as opposed to warranteeing a product).

And if for some reason the network doesn't work as promised, he will redesign it and install any necessary hardware and software for free. Thats how confident he is that he will do a good job the first time. Some of his competitors don't.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Bob
My response:

Very few things in life are certain.

That's what a "guarantee" guarantees - - that something is a certainty. No matter how good your son believes his product and services are, he cannot in a good-faith search of his conscience, believe that what he does, and what he delivers, will operate always as he says, and with "certainty."

There are always some variables; both known, and some unforeseen. Certainties leave no "wiggle room" and no excuses; e.g., what if an earthquake occurs, or a fire, or water damage. That's why guarantees are only given by fools - - because no matter what happens to cause a failure, your son would be "on the hook".

A warranty, by contrast, is a form of "guarantee". However, it allows for exceptions to functionality by being able to state known and unknown variables that may occur, and to alleviate your son's responsibilities should such an occurrance happen.

This is a very simple explanation, but I think you see where I'm going with this. Use "warranty" and not "guarantee".

AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR SON'S ATTORNEY DRAW UP A GOOD WARRANTY FOR YOUR SON'S DISTRIBUTION WITH HIS PRODUCT.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">