• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my vehicle under the lemon law or vehicle warranty? Clutch blew out at under 200 miles, not even a week after the sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

qtngo

I provided the section of the owner’s manual that states the clutch disc (the part with the friction material that is consider the wear item) is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

That is not likely to be the issue though but the rest is also warranted at 3 years or 36,000 miles.

Obviously abuse or neglect nulls the warranty but simply stating it was driven hard is not proof of anything. They have to be able to support their statement b
They didnt write anything except gave a me a reciept of the parts and cost for the repair. They verbally stated it was due to neglience and bad driving.

xylene

Apparently the subaru advisor quoted me $1,820 which is parts and labor with discounted because I did a sale with them recently. They said they even check the labor rates based on the job required. Other shops had quoted me above 2k which includes parts and labor.
When you get an estimate make sure they tell you the estimated hours. Try some more shops. Also - haggle. Look on the internet at part prices.

I also think you could try a different dealer on the warranty.

Play hard ball. These people aren't your friends and you have to be adversarial.

justalayman

I might have to check with that but the car already has 25,000+ miles.
I know. That was my point. The clutch didn’t have a few hundred miles in it. It had over 25,000 miles on it. It’s just that you put on only a few hundred of that.

So, find out when the car was first sold. The warranty runs 3 years from that date. If it’s less than 3 years, it’s time to start pushing back.

Also, do you have any idea what actuslly failed? When a clutch burns out, you don’t lose the pedal. It just slips. If the pedal went to the floor it sounds more like a hydraulic issue and realistically, I don’t think bad driving would do much of anything to hurt the hydraulic system.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I know. That was my point. The clutch didn’t have a few hundred miles in it. It had over 25,000 miles on it. It’s just that you put on only a few hundred of that.

So, find out when the car was first sold. The warranty runs 3 years from that date. If it’s less than 3 years, it’s time to start pushing back.

Also, do you have any idea what actuslly failed? When a clutch burns out, you don’t lose the pedal. It just slips. If the pedal went to the floor it sounds more like a hydraulic issue and realistically, I don’t think bad driving would do much of anything to hurt the hydraulic system.
If the clutch is COMPLETELY burned out, that "slipping" can equate to absolutely no response from the clutch when pushed all the way to the floor. I speak from first-hand experience on this.

However, if this were the problem, it would have been readily apparent during the test drive. I'm with you about this being most likely a hydraulic problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">