• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is not paying spousal support always considered contempt of court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Hi there,

I am asking on behalf of someone else who is trying to represent himself in this matter. He has been unemployed since 2008 and has been trying to find a new job -- when the unemployment checks and savings ran out, he stopped paying alimony to his ex.

He is about 2-3 months behind (depending on what calculation you use, since his ex remarried in 2009 and the decree terminates support upon remarriage). These amounts are back from 2009.

He has a court case coming up on this matter now, and he is worried about whether this will be punishable by contempt of court / jail. He has filed motions in response to his ex's motions, on his own (pro se) to explain his situation, but he has not sent any funds because the amounts that she demands are well beyond what is truly owed.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? TIA!

LdiJ

Hi there,

I am asking on behalf of someone else who is trying to represent himself in this matter. He has been unemployed since 2008 and has been trying to find a new job -- when the unemployment checks and savings ran out, he stopped paying alimony to his ex.

He is about 2-3 months behind (depending on what calculation you use, since his ex remarried in 2009 and the decree terminates support upon remarriage). These amounts are back from 2009.

He has a court case coming up on this matter now, and he is worried about whether this will be punishable by contempt of court / jail. He has filed motions in response to his ex's motions, on his own (pro se) to explain his situation, but he has not sent any funds because the amounts that she demands are well beyond what is truly owed.

It might have been better if he had at least sent what he believed he owed.

mistoffolees

Hi there,

He should really talk with an attorney who knows the judge in that area.

Generally, most judges don't throw someone in jail for the first non-payment charge, but there are probably exceptions.

LdiJ

He should really talk with an attorney who knows the judge in that area.

Generally, most judges don't throw someone in jail for the first non-payment charge, but there are probably exceptions.
I agree, but since these amounts are at least a year past due, the judge won't be thrilled. He should probably come to court with SOME money, and be prepared to find a way to pay up the rest in a fairly short amount of time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">