• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is one fishing if one does not have a hook on one's fishing line ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beowulf

1. Without a search, I find it pretty persuasive that a person is not fishing if he drops a line in without a hook.

2. I think if I were a cop who saw someone who appeared to be fishing in the way the OP is writing (without a hook), I would think a prudent person seeing it would think the person was fishing. That is going to be probable cause for arrest or citation.

3. How much is the license as compared to the cost of making the argument in court the person was not fishing because he did not use a hook?
Yeah I guess I will have to pay the cost of licenses; but again, I was hoping this was not "fishing" so I would not have to worry about filming withing trout season. I got a response from the game warden / DNR office

"I checked with our enforcement operations manager, and he said the statute does not define fishing as having a hook at the end of the line. He recommended that you speak to the local officer to clarify what you are doing and so that you are not accidentally cited for something you are not doing. Even if you don't have hooks or lures, you would probably want something at the end of the line to weigh it down. Technically a fish could grab this."​

Thank you all for the feedback, greatly appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Here's the web page with license costs. It's really dirt cheap. Foregoing the coffee and donuts on set would more than pay for them.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/fishing/index.html?type=fishing

Last edited:

quincy

Yeah I guess I will have to pay the cost of licenses; but again, I was hoping this was not "fishing" so I would not have to worry about filming withing trout season. I got a response from the game warden / DNR office

"I checked with our enforcement operations manager, and he said the statute does not define fishing as having a hook at the end of the line. He recommended that you speak to the local officer to clarify what you are doing and so that you are not accidentally cited for something you are not doing. Even if you don't have hooks or lures, you would probably want something at the end of the line to weigh it down. Technically a fish could grab this."​

Thank you all for the feedback, greatly appreciated.
Getting proper permissions is vital for filmmakers, especially small independent filmmakers. A legal action against the filmmakers can easily bankrupt the production.

Your webpage appears to be missing, Zigner.

Beowulf

Here's the web page with license costs. It's really dirt cheap. Foregoing the coffee and donuts on set would more than pay for them.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/fishing/index.html?type=fishing
I am frugal, but the issue for me is more about being able to "fish" outside of the end of the trout fishing season which ends Oct 1. Visually it would be so much better to film in October with colored leaves. It just seem so absurd to me that people whipping a fly line around in a stream without any hook or lure are considered to be fishing; but I guess that is the world we live in, over-regulation. I am going talk to the MN film board and see if they hold any weight in getting around this so the actors could "fish" in October (no hooks, just for film).

quincy

I am frugal, but the issue for me is more about being able to "fish" outside of the end of the trout fishing season which ends Oct 1. Visually it would be so much better to film in October with colored leaves. It just seem so absurd to me that people whipping a fly line around in a stream without any hook or lure are considered to be fishing; but I guess that is the world we live in, over-regulation. I am going talk to the MN film board and see if they hold any weight in getting around this so the actors could "fish" in October (no hooks, just for film).
The way to "get around " the need for licenses is to get permission to film fishing scenes ahead of filming these fishing scenes. And, again, if you will be filming in a park, additional permissions may be needed.

Making use of the film and tv organization in Minnesota is smart.

Beowulf

The way to "get around " the need for licenses is to get permission to film fishing scenes ahead of filming these fishing scenes. And, again, if you will be filming in a park, additional permissions may be needed.

Making use of the film and tv organization in Minnesota is smart.
Agreed. I emailed the MN Film commission and am dialoguing with them on this, am going to call them tomorrow to discuss more.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">