• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is she really a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eringrace

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I'm trying to do a background check on a potential tenant and she is telling me she is an attorney. I gave her an application that she has not returned to me yet (in fact she seems to be stalling with that), but I have not been able to find her on the state bar association directory. She made a brief mention of working at the appeals court, but I have not been able to find her on their directory as well. I did find her on facebook, but she lists no job, just that she went to a law school back in the early 90's. I don't know if she graduated or not.

My question - can someone practice law if they aren't on the state bar? Is there a way to find out if maybe she WAS an attorney and got disbarred? I can't find anything about her when I google her name. Something just seems fishy... I don't want to outright reject her and get in trouble for some kind of discrimination she might claim, but I'm seriously thinking of telling her that I already rented the place to someone else because I just don't feel right about her...

sandyclaus

I'm trying to do a background check on a potential tenant and she is telling me she is an attorney. I gave her an application that she has not returned to me yet (in fact she seems to be stalling with that), but I have not been able to find her on the state bar association directory. She made a brief mention of working at the appeals court, but I have not been able to find her on their directory as well. I did find her on facebook, but she lists no job, just that she went to a law school back in the early 90's. I don't know if she graduated or not.

My question - can someone practice law if they aren't on the state bar? Is there a way to find out if maybe she WAS an attorney and got disbarred? I can't find anything about her when I google her name. Something just seems fishy... I don't want to outright reject her and get in trouble for some kind of discrimination she might claim, but I'm seriously thinking of telling her that I already rented the place to someone else because I just don't feel right about her...
The last time I checked, a practicing attorney must have passed the State Bar in the state where they practice. She might be an attorney, but not in YOUR state.

If you are concerned, have her show you her Bar card that proves she is an attorney. That will also tell you which state(s) she is licensed to practice in (if any).

If you are concerned with her potential dishonesty, then you can reject her and just tell her you found a more suitable tenant. No explanation is necessary.

OP,

Every state is different but, generally, you do not need to be a member of a state's bar association to be licensed in that state. (Some state bar associations are involved with licensing, some are not.) For example, in my state, there is no requirement that an attorney belong to the state bar association.

I would call the the Louisiana State Bar Association and ask them what their role is and whether they can point you to a roll of attorneys.

Otherwise, your potential tenant's behavior does seem suspicious!

Banned_Princess

OP,

Every state is different but, generally, you do not need to be a member of a state's bar association to be licensed in that state. (Some state bar associations are involved with licensing, some are not.) For example, in my state, there is no requirement that an attorney belong to the state bar association.

I would call the the Louisiana State Bar Association and ask them what their role is and whether they can point you to a roll of attorneys.

Otherwise, your potential tenant's behavior does seem suspicious!
what is your state?

Banned_Princess

Check ******dale.com. They seem to list all attorneys, active or not.
what the heck are you linking me to. . . dale . com is a Christian garden of some sort. no lawyers listed there.

always linking me to garbage. totally unhelpful thanks Steve.

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

Sorry, I forgot about that filter.

Google "hubbell lawyers" and you'll see the site I was referring to.
ok, I don't, but I was able to find a lawyer I know really easy in the NY database.

I tried to search same lawyer on m a r t indale but he didn't come up there.

La doesn't look like it even has any kind of comprehensive list...

I would just reject the lady. if she cant show she is a lawyer, holding herself out to be one is a crime. (although I don't think its a crime to say "I'm a lawyer" and leave it at that, as long as you aren't giving out legal advise)

why is that filtered?

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

I would just reject the lady.
I agree, she should be rejected. Maybe I'm just gun-shy, but there is a notorious tenant-from-hell that often makes the local newspaper. He graduated from law school, but never passed the bar. He makes his living by getting paid by landlords to leave.

why is that filtered?
I think it has to do with a poster repeatedly posting personal information about someone with that name.

eringrace

Thank you. I checked that site, m art in dale.com, but can't find her. I'm concerned that if she's lying at this point, what she might do later on once in the lease. I can't seem to find her in the directory at the court she said she worked at either. Think I'll just reject her as a tenant.

Mass_Shyster

Since she still hasn't returned the application, I would simply not contact her. If she calls, just say "Oh, you never returned your application, so I assumed you weren't interested".

You Are Guilty

Sounds like it's going to be a nightmare regardless of whether she's a lawyer or not. That said, here is the official place to check:
http://www.lsba.org/2007MembershipDirectory/MembershipDirectory.asp?Menu=MD

And if you want to check disciplinary complaints or whatnot, try here:
http://wwwprd.doa.louisiana.gov/LaServices/PublicPages/ServiceDetail.cfm?service_id=3237

Stephen1

We screen applicants in the order received (completed app plus screen fee). First one to qualify gets the apt. If someone doesn't return an app I assume that they are not interested in my apt for whatever reason (found something better, etc).

So, if it were us I would say - she doesn't return app then no problem OR if she returns app after we have accepted a different tenant then no problem.

Don't chase applicants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">