• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the cosigner equally liable for the damages and the debt for an apartment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pross001

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

As of late, I have been requiring potential new tenants, who have a poor credit history, to have a cosigner on their lease.

Now, if the time comes, that I have to evict the tenant, is the cosigner truly equally liable for the costs even if they don't live at the address?

I'm assuming that the judge will include their name in when he makes the final judgment on the case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

As of late, I have been requiring potential new tenants, who have a poor credit history, to have a cosigner on their lease.

Now, if the time comes, that I have to evict the tenant, is the cosigner truly equally liable for the costs even if they don't live at the address?

I'm assuming that the judge will include their name in when he makes the final judgment on the case.
It depends on the contract.

Gail in Georgia

Most leases have some type of clause to the effect that a tenant will be responsible for damages above normal wear and tear, eviction costs, owed rent (in the case of a lease breaking), etc.. If the co-signer signs the lease, this means they are agreeing to what is listed there.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Most leases have some type of clause to the effect that a tenant will be responsible for damages above normal wear and tear, eviction costs, owed rent (in the case of a lease breaking), etc.. If the co-signer signs the lease, this means they are agreeing to what is listed there.

Gail
The cosigner is held responsible for what the contract says the cosigner is held responsible for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">