• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is There a Deadline for a Civil Matter to be Heard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thank you. This helps a lot. I sought assistance through a group thru the Virginia Bar Association (I believe). The closest real estate attorney I could get was a person who heard death penalty cases.
It wouldn't be a real estate attorney that I'd look for, but rather an attorney who handles appeals of decisions by state agencies. The attorney doesn't need to know real estate law for this; what the attorney needs to know are the rules for litigating state agency appeals, which are different from trial court appeals and as such are specialty area of practice.

MissV

I'm curious too...
@MissV - why don't you simply take the class? It would likely be cheaper and quicker.
Zigner, in a perfect world with questions: does 1 + 2 = 3, I wouldn't be concerned. Passing a state licensing exam (which I've already done) only to be tested by people who don't want me anyhow (where I can't know for sure how it's graded), would be more than I'd care to put myself through. Ask anyone who has taken a real estate licensing exam. The challenge is not knowing what's in the mind of the person asking the question.

MissV

It wouldn't be a real estate attorney that I'd look for, but rather an attorney who handles appeals of decisions by state agencies. The attorney doesn't need to know real estate law for this; what the attorney needs to know are the rules for litigating state agency appeals, which are different from trial court appeals and as such are specialty area of practice.
Wow! Are these attoneys listed in categories like government law?

quincy

Zigner, in a perfect world with questions: does 1 + 2 = 3, I wouldn't be concerned. Passing a state licensing exam (which I've already done) only to be tested by people who don't want me anyhow (where I can't know for sure how it's graded), would be more than I'd care to put myself through. Ask anyone who has taken a real estate licensing exam. The challenge is not knowing what's in the mind of the person asking the question.
The licensing exams are pretty straight forward. You would have invested far less time and money taking the exam again than you have spent with your litigation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What does that have to do with anything? In post #5, you stated that you've already passed the VA licensing exam and all they want you to do is take a course.

quincy

I am curious: Are you hoping to be a real estate appraiser in Virginia? For that you do need several hours of qualifying education courses. A real estate license is not enough.

MissV

No, I don't want to be an appraiser. I'm a Broker in Charge in NC and want to expand into VA (just like the Commission member in VA is now able to sell real estate in NC). I had no problem with South Carolina.

quincy

No, I don't want to be an appraiser. I'm a Broker in Charge in NC and want to expand into VA (just like the Commission member in VA is now able to sell real estate in NC). I had no problem with South Carolina.
Thanks for answering my question, Miss V.

Is there some reason you believe the people in Virginia "don't want [you] anyhow?"

Requiring a course that you can't prove you took previously does not seem all that unreasonable to me.

You really should be demanding answers from your current attorney and, if he can't or won't address your concerns, you should find another attorney who can and will.

Good luck.

MissV

Thanks for answering my question, Miss V.

Is there some reason you believe the people in Virginia "don't want [you] anyhow?"

Requiring a course that you can't prove you took previously does not seem all that unreasonable to me.

You really should be demanding answers from your current attorney and, if he can't or won't address your concerns, you should find another attorney who can and will.

Good luck.
Thanks again! I was born in VA and worked there for a while. What I mean by not 'wanting' me there is this: The RE Commission is made up of Realtors and lay people. Realtors, naturally, would be my competitors. Although the votes weren't tallied individually, it appears that I had the vote of the lay people - not the Realtors (sigh)....

What wasn't clear is: what percentage of the passing of the 'test' would matter? Would they be throwing out all of my schooling, degrees and test scores and the 500+ people I've instructed in North Carolina (thru Kaplan RE school and Wake Tech community college) who now sell real estate?

Thanks again. I now have a better understanding of what I must do.

quincy

Thanks again! I was born in VA and worked there for a while. What I mean by not 'wanting' me there is this: The RE Commission is made up of Realtors and lay people. Realtors, naturally, would be my competitors. Although the votes weren't tallied individually, it appears that I had the vote of the lay people - not the Realtors (sigh)....

What wasn't clear is: what percentage of the passing of the 'test' would matter? Would they be throwing out all of my schooling, degrees and test scores and the 500+ people I've instructed in North Carolina (thru Kaplan RE school and Wake Tech community college) who now sell real estate?

Thanks again. I now have a better understanding of what I must do.
Real estate laws vary vastly by state so it is to be expected that a licensed agent/broker from one state would need to prove their knowledge of the laws of a new state to the new state's licensing board, regardless of how qualified the agent/broker might be in their originating state.

Tests do not factor in what you have known in the past or how many degrees you have earned but rather tests demonstrate what you know in the present, at the time of the test taking.

I hope your "better understanding" of what to do includes discussing your concerns with your current attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">