• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a "loophole"??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I've been reading up on the new tax laws in preparation for this tax season, and I just think there HAS to be some kind of loophole on this new definition of a child.

For example: A lady I do taxes for every year called me today to ask about the new tax laws. She has lived with her boyfriend for 2 years. She was seriously injured in a car accident and has been unable to work (and fighting disability) for well over a year. Her boyfriend has supported her and her 3 children since her accident. They are on NO welfare of any kind (don't know if that matters or not). Explain to me why her boyfriend cannot claim her children as dependents. Or...and I misundertanding this new tax law?

I just don't think it's right...that a man can support 3 kids as if they were his own, but can't claim them at tax time.

The bio-dad of all 3 kids is in prison ... so that doesn't come into play.

Snipes5

If they are not qualifying children for her, he can claim them, but he cannot get EIC or Child Tax Credit or Dependent Care Credit for them. Honestly, the best thing for him to do in this situation is marry her.

The reason these things are the way they are is because Congress made them that way. There is no other reason. Seriously.

Snipes

Snipes5 said:
If they are not qualifying children for her, he can claim them, but he cannot get EIC or Child Tax Credit or Dependent Care Credit for them. Honestly, the best thing for him to do in this situation is marry her.

The reason these things are the way they are is because Congress made them that way. There is no other reason. Seriously.

Snipes
Ok, so since mom didn't work (and the kids didn't either), they can't be qualifying children of HERS because of the support test ... so in this case, HE can claim them and get the $3200 per child exemption...even though he does not meet the relationship test. Right?

Snipes5

Yes, but that's all. But if he manages to marry her in the next two weeks, He can get a heck of a lot more...

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">