• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blove1

I currently work with a Mortgage company part time as a Loan Officer. I haven't signed any W2's or have any scheduled work schedule, however whenever I have a prospective client I prepare the loan package, submit the supporting documentation, deliver the package to the company, and follow up. I have a problem... I have a client who provided me with their documentation and completed their loan package in June/July, here it is October 28, 1999 and the loan has not closed yet. Ok there are extremely irritate after being informed they would close in 30 days, verbally. Well, my clients called my manager and expressed they aggravation and informed them that they are taking their business somewhere else. So, my manager says "NO, please give us a little more time, what if I give you $500 of my commission." and then he adds "The reason primarily is Loren is an inexperienced loan officer, she doesn't know what she is doing, she caused this untimely delay..." Mind you I provided all the supporting documentation, day One in June/July. Yes, they needed repetitious documentation thereafter, due to the extended length of time, but I did my job and I did it to the best of my ability. My question is, is this slander? Can I sue them on the account of their incapabilities to close a loan in a timely fashion, and have them revert to demeaning my credibilty?

A

Attorney_Replogle

I can understand your frustration however I do not think that using a court system for this matter is in your best interests. The reason is that the laws regarding defamation are very complex. Your employer may have enjoyed a limited right to say such things based on business necessity or he may have limited immunity under the theory of expression of opinion. Even assuming that these issues are in your favor, the most important question is what damages have you sustained. How much are they worth? Unless it is in the tens of thousands of dollars it is probably not worth your time pursuing this legally. However, if you still desire to do so, I would suggest reading the freeadvice.com web site about small claims courts, then pursue the matter in that court.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">