• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this against the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your girls shouldn't even know her. Seriously...get a divorce and THEN introduce your children to your GF.
I understand you have your opinion and i respect that. Im seeking help with my current situation though. The kids know her and ask to speak with her. Thats already done and established. You "replied" to the question i asked, but didnt answer.

ShyCat

Could i suggest i bring the girls to my home(Westchester), and when their mother gets off from work, she comes to my place and pick them up?
What happened to
I live pretty far and dont drive, so i cant bring them to my place.
?

In any case, Mom would likely still request that you not involve your children with your new girlfriend, including phone calls while in your house. It's more a concern for inappropriate action (mixing girlfriend with children) than inappropriate location (Mom's home).

If you live pretty far away and don't drive, how would you get them to your home? If you put that kind of inconvenience on mom she will curtail her mutual agreement to the arrangement and probably take it to court to get a more normal parenting time arrangement put into place. Right now you are getting to see your children nearly every day. Do you want that to stop? It would be a whole lot simpler to just stop talking to your girlfriend for the few hours a day you are at mom's house.
They would get to my home the same way i get to theirs. Bus and train. Im starting to wonder if youre being a bit biased in some of the replies. Inconvenience on mom? Shed travel after work JUST like i travel after work. Everything would actually be equal if we did it that way. Im actually making things convenient for her currently by her not having to travel at all considering its me thats doing it... After work mind you.

Just Blue

Im confused now. What isnt about the kids? They like her. They want to talk to her. I allow it. We do homework, play games, watch tv/movies, showered and pj's on. When all responsibilities are done, they are allowed to talk. Sorry, but im a bit confused by your statement.
What your teaching these children is that it is okay to date when you're married. You're teaching them to start a new relationship without finishing the first. You're being a bad parental example.

This is all common sense.

What happened to ?

In any case, Mom would likely still request that you not involve your children with your new girlfriend, including phone calls while in your house. It's more a concern for inappropriate action (mixing girlfriend with children) than inappropriate location (Mom's home).
I probably shouldt have said "cant"

Honestly, i think shes just mad because the girls like her. Her way of trying to control the situation imo. You may be right though. I do not want to count out what you said about inappropriate action/location.

Just Blue

I understand you have your opinion and i respect that. Im seeking help with my current situation though. The kids know her and ask to speak with her. Thats already done and established. You "replied" to the question i asked, but didnt answer.
You're question was answered...several times. The much needed parenting advice is on the house.

PayrollHRGuy

So if she were to get an order to where i couldnt speak with my girlfriend while in her home and i break that, i could go to jail? Even if my daughters wanted to speak with her?
If she has an order from the court that you can chat with GFs in her home via phone or video chat you could A) lose the right to be in her home B) be found in contempt of court and face pretty much whatever the judge sees.

You kids have no say in this AT ALL. In fact, having them chat with GF is likely what is causing the problem in the first place.

laurakaye

If you live pretty far away and don't drive, how would you get them to your home? If you put that kind of inconvenience on mom she will curtail her mutual agreement to the arrangement and probably take it to court to get a more normal parenting time arrangement put into place. Right now you are getting to see your children nearly every day. Do you want that to stop? It would be a whole lot simpler to just stop talking to your girlfriend for the few hours a day you are at mom's house.
I'm confused about how he picks up his daughters and gets them to his ex-wife's house, let alone getting him to his house.
EDIT: [Note - this was explained later - bus and train]

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They would get to my home the same way i get to theirs. Bus and train. Im starting to wonder if youre being a bit biased in some of the replies. Inconvenience on mom? Shed travel after work JUST like i travel after work. Everything would actually be equal if we did it that way. Im actually making things convenient for her currently by her not having to travel at all considering its me thats doing it... After work mind you.
This isn't a bias in favor of mom...this is a bias against the parent who believes that it's great to get the kids involved in a relationship with their new bed buddy.

LdiJ

To be quite candid, I am a little biased against you, but only because you are insisting on talking to your girlfriend while in mom's home. I would be equally biased against mom if she were talking to her boyfriend while in your home.

Plus, I think that your current arrangement is a wonderful one for the children, they get to see both of their parents nearly every day and THEY do not have to travel to do so. I think that you are on the verge of messing up a great thing for your children, just because you cannot be respectful enough not to talk to your girlfriend during the few hours a day you are in mom's home.

My ex and I had a somewhat similar arrangement to yours when our daughter was small, and he would have never dreamed of talking to his new girlfriend while he was in my home. He would have considered that to be horribly bad manners.

What your teaching these children is that it is okay to date when you're married. You're teaching them to start a new relationship without finishing the first. You're being a bad parental example.

This is all common sense.
Although separated, you are correct. The relationship IS finished, just not technically, so again, youre correct. I dont feel im being a bad parental example overall(maybe in the marriage/separation/divorce aspect), but respect your opinion.

This isn't a bias in favor of mom...this is a bias against the parent who believes that it's great to get the kids involved in a relationship with their new bed buddy.
Please dont do that. I didnt mention all aspects of my current relationship, but please dont assume we are bed buddies if you dont know the full dynamic. Thanks in advance.

Does the mom have boyfriends that interact with the kids?
A few months ago, she took the kids on a play date with another man and his 2 kids. I didnt know about it until one of my daughters accidentally let it lip out when i asked what they did over the weekend, lol. He wasnt a boyfriend though. They were interested in each other/had an attraction, but were not boyfriend/girlfriend. That was actually the first time my girls seen or heard of the guy. I was a bit upset about that. My current girlfriend has NOT yet been around my daughters. Only spoke to her on the phone and video chats via THEIR requests. I do feel its a bit different because they are getting to know her before actually meeting her in person. I told their mother about her as well and let her know that she(my gf) will be around, so i want the girls to get used to her.

PayrollHRGuy

Please dont do that. I didnt mention all aspects of my current relationship, but please dont assume we are bed buddies if you dont know the full dynamic. Thanks in advance.
You are legally married to the mother of your children. The fact that you are not only dating someone else but have them chat with your children will be seen no better by the court than it has been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">