• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caphis

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Some background: Last year, I worked with a guy who also worked for Citi as some kind of "financial advisor" with Primerica. On occasion, he'd try his sales pitch on me and I'd invariably laugh him off and he'd be on his way. Anyway, when I separated from the company we worked at together, he gave me some spiel about how I should work with him, how he brings in so much money each month, etc. and how I could make money doing what(ever it is that) he does.

Fast forward a few months. A couple weeks ago, I get a letter in the mail from a lab that basically says "here are the results of the tests you ordered! No HIV! No cocaine use! No tobacco use!" I'm thinking that this is odd, as I never asked for any of these tests... at the top, it has some note to the effect of "Tests ordered by Bob Jones" ("Bob Jones" being the ex-coworker). Funny, I think, as it must be some kind of weird coincidence that the person who ordered an HIV and drug test on me has the same name as an ex-coworker of mine who peddled life insurance.

Then, the other day, I get a bill in the mail from Primerica. $204.22 is due July 16 for my life insurance policy. What? I don't have a life insurance policy with Primerica. How odd. I called up their office and explained that I never signed up for any kind of life insurance policy with them. "We have a signed application on file here from you, sir, I'm looking at it." She says it bears my signature. I never signed any form for life insurance, I tell her.

"Well, your agent is Bob Jones..." Hold on. I put two and two together and I flip out. I tell her I never signed up for anything, and that whoever signed it, signed my name fraudulently. She goes on hold for a few minutes and comes back to tell me that one of her managers is going to call me back on Monday.

Ok, so what now? I send "Bob" a message asking if he signed me up for a life insurance policy. The reply is basically "Yeah i told u i was gonna, it's so u can work with me if u want to. I hope u still do? Dont worry about the bill, im taking care of it, youll get more, but just disregard them, trust me you dont owe a thing"

What the...? Aside from waiting for the insurance company to call me back Monday, what else can I do? Is any part of this illegal, or just immoral? If so, what possible recourse do I have?

Thanks in advance!

seniorjudge

Standard answer on expired SOL (statute of limitation) and/or validation and/or dispute letters. There are thousands of posts similar to yours on this forum so I have prepared a standard answer.

Validation letters:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=353111

SOL (Statutes of limitation are DEFENSES to lawsuits; they do NOT provide a method to stop someone from suing you. This defense means when they sue you, you answer with the defense that it is barred by the SOL.)

http://www.bcsalliance.com/y_debt_sol.html

http://www.fair-debt-collection.com/Disputing_Collections/SoL-dispute-letter.html

Validation letter samples you can get at :
www.creditinfocenter.com
and www.creditboards.com

Make sure you ask for VALIDATION (and do not accept verification).

Disputes: You can write a letter of dispute to the three credit reporting agencies.

Go this website to find instructions and samples for how to dispute: http://www.creditinfocenter.com/creditreports/

Sometimes errors are easy to remove and sometimes they stick like glue. It is inexpensive to try and not difficult.

I am NOT a creditor-debtor lawyer; stand by for further help.

I am NOT vouching for the accuracy of these websites!

Debt settlement:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=293829

anteater

Even Primerica is not going to put up with one of their agents forging an insurance application and sending out phony blood samples to a testing lab. (I take it that you did not let "Bob" stick a needle in one of your veins for a blood sample.)

I would expect that "Bob" will be soon separated from Primerica and you will receive numerous apologies. If that happens, it's up to you whether you want to push it further by contacting Virginia's Bureau of Insurance. I would. If it does not happen, then you definitely need to contact the Bureau of Insurance.

http://www.scc.virginia.gov/division/boi/webpages/boihomepage.htm

Retain everything and keep a log of every phone contact.

As for the bill, assuming it is billing for a premium, keep it as evidence. If a life insurance premium is not paid, then the policy lapses (or, in this case, does not even commence.)

caphis

Thanks for the quick response! Good information, I'll be sure to keep a record.

As for the tests... you know, this is the funny part. I went to a doctor about a month ago for some pain I was having, and they ordered a few blood tests. The funny thing I noticed was that these tests results were dated the *same day* I had my work done at that *same lab*. Coincidence?

Betty

Yes, there is certainly fraud going on here with the agt. signing your name to the ins. app., etc. The ins. co. certainly will take action against this agent. See what they have to say Monday.

Dandy Don

After you have received a response from the insurance company, you may want to consider filing a complaint with your state insurance commissioner (do a Google search for "virginia insurance commissioner" and you should find a website link.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">