• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this harassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ww200

What is the name of your state? IL

My neighbor smokes pot and has mental problems. He went nuts on me when I walked past him in the store. There was enough room in the isle of the store. Landlord says he has received concerns from other neighbors about him.

He recently said " don't be messing with with my girl". I don't even know his girl. I say hi to all my neighbors. An elderly neighbor complemented me the other day.

I did tell my landlord about this guy. I already complained once about him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Nothing you described in your post is a crime.
Ditto.

Furthermore, it is not stalking, harassment, or anything else for which one might pursue a restraining order.

Personal advice: avoid contact, avoid engaging. Do whatever you can to deescalate. If his behavior goes beyond merely odd to physically violent, no matter how minor (like, throwing a french fry at you), THEN report it to the police.

Eekamouse

My neighbor smokes pot and has mental problems. He went nuts on me when I walked past him in the store. There was enough room in the isle of the store. Landlord says he has received concerns from other neighbors about him.

He recently said " don't be messing with with my girl". I don't even know his girl. I say hi to all my neighbors. An elderly neighbor complemented me the other day.

How do you know he has mental problems? Because he smokes pot? You actually probably wanting him smoking pot if he has mental problems as weed most likely calms him down.

quincy

There are a lot of people in this country with mental illnesses who are going without treatment.

In some cases, this is because the centers or institutions that used to treat them or house them have closed down. Some are filled to capacity. Sometimes those with mental health problems simply fall through the cracks and are left to fend for themselves.

If you want to help your neighbor, you can contact the Illinois Department of Human Services to locate mental health centers in your area. You can ask IDHS for advice and direction.

https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=33007

commentator

As someone who has had much experience personally and professionally dealing with people who are a little off, seriously, if you want to do her a favor and not cause problems, DO NOT speak to his girlfriend if you see her out, even by herself. Because that's probably gotten him all bent out of shape. I cannot tell you how many times abused women are mistreated because one of their neighbors said "Hi" to them as they walked by or something like this.

You may be proud and make it a point to say hi to all your neighbors, but the ones associated with this neighbor, the more you act like they're invisible the less problems you'll have with them. They're looking for someone to have conflicts with. The thing is, he is probably nuts to everyone, and paranoid about everyone, and what you do not want him to do is decide YOU are the particular neighbor who is the center of his thought processes.

If you see he is on an aisle of the store, or even IN the store, DO NOT escalate. There's no reason for you to push forward and demand your side of the aisle, or even for you to be in the same area as he is if you see him first. And you're arguing "there was plenty of room in the isle of the store" that might indicate you did something, even walk by, that caused him to explode on you. Do not do it again and I suspect you won't have as many problems with him. It's not your place to keep order in the apartments and nobody cares about his pot smoking. Avoid.

As someone who has had much experience personally and professionally dealing with people who are a little off, seriously, if you want to do her a favor and not cause problems, DO NOT speak to his girlfriend if you see her out, even by herself. Because that's probably gotten him all bent out of shape. I cannot tell you how many times abused women are mistreated because one of their neighbors said "Hi" to them as they walked by or something like this.

You may be proud and make it a point to say hi to all your neighbors, but the ones associated with this neighbor, the more you act like they're invisible the less problems you'll have with them. They're looking for someone to have conflicts with. The thing is, he is probably nuts to everyone, and paranoid about everyone, and what you do not want him to do is decide YOU are the particular neighbor who is the center of his thought processes.

If you see he is on an aisle of the store, or even IN the store, DO NOT escalate. There's no reason for you to push forward and demand your side of the aisle, or even for you to be in the same area as he is if you see him first. And you're arguing "there was plenty of room in the isle of the store" that might indicate you did something, even walk by, that caused him to explode on you. Do not do it again and I suspect you won't have as many problems with him. It's not your place to keep order in the apartments and nobody cares about his pot smoking. Avoid.
Good advice as I have a similar situation I just posted (Except we are all homeowners, and police reports have been made). Do not want to highjack this post. Would love your input on my situation over on my post.

Just Blue

Good advice as I have a similar situation I just posted (Except we are all homeowners, and police reports have been made). Do not want to highjack this post. Would love your input on my situation over on my post.
FA has a "conversation" option if you wish to notify a certain member to advise you on your thread. There is no reason to dig up an older thread to solicit assistance from a particular person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">